Any COB hardhat headlamps with decent run time?

Loganmerrell

Newly Enlightened
Been looking for a replacement headlamp for my hardhat. Almost landed on the fenix HL60 until I saw the size. I have been using the streamlight proTac HL and Its weight and size are really getting to me. Also the 600lm initial setting is just way too bright for the work I do. I almost always turn it too the 2nd setting so I'm not blinded while I work.
So,
Desired specifications.
-Lightweight, compact design.
-150ish lumens
-Uses Cr123a batteries or has a long run time rechargable

I really like the Streamlight bandit, it weights something like 1.5oz, has a nice flood, and is compact. But its run time on high is only 2.5hrs. That wont last me through a 12hr shift.
Is there anything similar to this out there or is there any way to modd this light to get a longer run time out of it?

parametrek

Enlightened
It really depends on the hardhat. Almost any headlamp can work with one if the elastic strap is replaced with a rubber strap. Streamlight makes a generic strap you can find on amazon for like $4.

150 lumens for 12 hours will require like 12Wh of power and the only way to get that is to use an 18650. The HL60 would probably be fine for you. I've used a headlamp that size for running and cavers will often wear 2 headlamps that size on their helmet.

Good COB headlamps are very rare. The highest quality floody headlamps would be the Zebralight H602/H603/H604.

Loganmerrell

Newly Enlightened
Keeping the headlamp on the hardhat isn't the problem. It's the weight. I am already using a nice rubber strap for the one I'm using now.

I dont need it to run a full 12hrs. I only use it about half the shift. So if I could get a good 6hrs of run time I would be pretty happy

Keitho

Enlightened
Another vote to consider a zebralight. They are renown for light weight and efficiency. For 6-12 hours, I'd go with an 18650.

The UI will allow you to set up modes however you want. Make it a one-mode light if you like. The lowest "high" setting gives you around 3-4 hours; the highest "medium" should give you at least 10 hours.

I'm partial to the H604d, but there are many beam type and LED options depending on your preferences.

Enjoy the search!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
There should be Great COB lights for hard hats, basically the front could be a COB, a polycarbonate cover for the light, switch, and a heatsink shaped for the hard hat.
The driver could be there in front too, or in the back with the battery case.
Super low profile.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a streamlight bandit as a gift, and I have been thinking about the runtime problem too.
on a hard hat, you could have a USB power bank strapped to the rear of the hat, and just plug the bandit in. Should give hours of runtime. Alternatively, if a small, thin (lipo?)power bank was available, it could be used with the supplied head band.
I do like the bandit, the cob really gives a nice floods light and it is very lightweight, but I think with the limited runtime it may be relegated to glovebox emergency duty.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I use a Wowtac A2S at work with a headband I sourced on ebay and it works fine. I have a 3AAA COB headlamp but runtime is not that great and output is a bit too floody for my work I need a little throw to it also and I find the low and medium modes used the most but the high 900 lumen mode is very useful in some cases. I also have an HL60R and it compares closely with the A2S on mode spacing and output but is more compact but heavier. My COB headlamp finally broke sitting in my tool bag (cheap plastic) as it was a $4 model.
I don't recommend COB headlamps for runtime as I believe the LED module in them is considerably less efficient (lumens/watt) than a high end Cree emitter that gets 120-200 lumens/watt vs 80 to perhaps 120 lumens/watt. This translates into less output and runtime needing even larger power source.
After using the HL60R and the A2S I have no desire for using the COB headlamp. There is also one other issue with a COB headlamp in that if you are working with others around you it is easier to blind them temporarily vs a headlamp that has more throw to it.
IMO unless you want a remote battery headlamp the only way to get 100+ lumens out of a headlamp for a day is using an 18650.

My COB headlamp I used duraloops in it but continually found it out of power when I needed it while I've not recharged my A2S for 3-4 days when I didn't use it but early in the morning when the sun was out at work. It is when I need to use it all day that I have to charge the battery regularly but keeping on the low ~24 lumen mode it can run for days and the 140 lumen mode runs over a day even if you use the 400 lumen high mode for short bursts of a few minutes each.

Decableguy2000

Newly Enlightened
I have used the bandit for a while now and love how light the light it is. I was going to up grade to the bandit pro until the company I work for recently purchased Halo's for us working nights.