Been gone awhile, have an origonal TN31vn, whats the best thrower now?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
So I have an ORIGINAL TN31vn.... like before this dedicated forum section exist, back when his warranty's and such were just implied and there wasn't really any options.

I love the light, I thought it was hilarious that after all the modders started de-doming LED's and using direct to copper bonding CREE started making flat LED's and people started having direct to copper bonding from the factory.

So I think my light has a XM-L2 U3 de-domed? I love the rotatable selection ring I see they have dropped but other than that I'm not sure what was going on, they had a TN35 I think? That basically had someof the upgrades Vin put into mine already, then I know people were using the big Fenix lights TK75 and or K40's.... whats the best host I should track down for him to mod into a lighthouse beacon to signal spaceships with next?

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Are the quote buttons broke? I'm havving issues and wasn't an hour ago... anyway

Trail how do you like the TN36's?

Also is the graph posted there from the previous event?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the quote buttons broke? I'm havving issues and wasn't an hour ago... anyway

Trail how do you like the TN36's?

Also is the graph posted there from the previous event?
If you are referring to my post in that thread, yes it is from a couple of years ago, the first thrower battle.

I have a TN36UTvn also. Love it except it gets hot immediately at 12,000 lumen. Then I got the X45vn at 25,000 lumen, Oh boy!!!

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are referring to my post in that thread, yes it is from a couple of years ago, the first thrower battle.

I have a TN36UTvn also. Love it except it gets hot immediately at 12,000 lumen. Then I got the X45vn at 25,000 lumen, Oh boy!!!
Agreed with how hot it gets so quickly. Its unusable at turbo, only used for smiles.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolute furthest throw: BLF GTvn with Black Flat.
Second most throw but way more output: BLF GTvn with CFT90
Best thrower with TN31vn size: TN42vn with Black Flat
Best high output thrower with TN31vn size: TN42vn with CFT90 or MT35vn with XHP70.2
Best plunger style light thrower: T21vn with Black Flat
Best jacket pocketable throwers: T21vn with 1x18650 and Black Flat, U21vn with Black Flat

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolute furthest throw: BLF GTvn with Black Flat.
Second most throw but way more output: BLF GTvn with CFT90
Best thrower with TN31vn size: TN42vn with Black Flat
Best high output thrower with TN31vn size: TN42vn with CFT90 or MT35vn with XHP70.2
Best plunger style light thrower: T21vn with Black Flat
Best jacket pocketable throwers: T21vn with 1x18650 and Black Flat, U21vn with Black Flat
What is black flat? Is this something vish does aside from the options he has?

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are what i think good throwers light.. sorry about my grammar. Lol

tn42vn90.. cft 90 led
blf gtvn90. Cft 90 led
blf gt stock version.
tn42vn oslon black led.
acebeam t21vn. Oslon.

Twistedraven already mentioned them. Thanks again..

i dont recommend oslon black led on the blf gt.. its just waste of space.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are what i think good throwers light.. sorry about my grammar. Lol

tn42vn90.. cft 90 led
blf gtvn90. Cft 90 led
blf gt stock version.
tn42vn oslon black led.
acebeam t21vn. Oslon.

Twistedraven already mentioned them. Thanks again..

i dont recommend oslon black led on the blf gt.. its just waste of space.
Makes sense, probably why it's no longer spec 7?

Agpp

Enlightened
This is very interesting. I wonder where the extra lumens are going? Could be in general spill, or better yet, a larger hot spot!

Both wider spill and larger hotspot.
Though I think neither of them is perfectly round - because the die is a non-square rectangle.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spill and hotspot will be round when using the Q8WP with a reflector. The spill will be brighter (because of more lumens) and the hotspot will be bigger (because the LED die ist larger). The corona will be oval instead of round (or egg shaped) because of the rectangular die.

The Q8WP is already old news though, a successor has already been announced by Osram.

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
WOW I'm totally getting overwhelmed, back when I was here the TN31 just came out and vn just started and soon became the throw kind and others got brushed aside, I remember a Fenix TK light came out and had higher lux but was a lot bigger, so I stuck with my TN31, then he started modding the batter carrier and other things and getting so popular he had to clarify his warranty terms and such, mine doesn't have these extra mods and I thought about sending it back to him but kinda of got away from flashlights for awhile.

I really really like the magnetic ring for selecting brightness alight their might be some patent concerns...... and not through nite seems to be going with a single button?... :confused:, you see I REALLY like being able to select my mode BEFORE I turn the light on, however I am willing to not have this feature in an ultimate thrower light (not my EDC or general use light tho).

Agreed with how hot it gets so quickly. Its unusable at turbo, only used for smiles.
Is the first column lumens? It's says the TN31vn XPG-2 is 384,000 lux? Mines a XM-L2 and I thought was close to that???

12,000 lumens :faint:... I don't think I would need anything that powerful in a thrower... idk maybe I do, does it have an easily accessible "usable" level? I'd like a usable hot spot not a pencil beam but other than that... oh and smaller than like a SR90 or something... but other than that throw throw throw... I liked having the "longest throwing LED light in the world" atlas for a little while.

Also I was too wondering wtf "flat black" was lol

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute....

Ok

1. Skylumen is Vin's site?

2. Osram=flat black ctf-90 and old sst-90 right?

3. Does the BLF GT actually do over 1,000,000 lux stock? and going price is $375?

4. I'm following VN's TN42 thread but going to a CTF-90 is $600 :faint:............... The CTF-90's are $300ish just for the emitter?

Last edited: