Nitecore TIP vs. Tini, which do you prefer?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had the Tini for a few months now--it replaced the TIP on my gear bag, but I'm wondering if I should change back.

I like the size and output of the Tini, but I feel as though I have to baby the light because the switch especially, seems so fragile and flimsy. Then, the delayed "on" is becoming more and more irritating. By far what bothers me most, is the momentary on of the turbo mode.

By contrast the TIP feels much more substantial, although it is "missing" a cover for the charging port, and I don't care for the "rod" used to attach a keyring.

What's your experience and preference?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not actually laid hands on a Tini, and I don't plan on doing so unless and until they come out with a high CRI version like with the TIP CRI. As far as the TIP goes I have several and have no problems with them.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I EDC on a lanyard both the Tip and the Mini.

I use the Mini for instant, "brief" light as my finger can feel for the turbo button in the dark.

I use the Tip for more extensive lighting. (I believe it comes with a cover/clip so you can clip it to your shirt and/or cover up the USB port.)

The Mini serves as a backup to the Tip (though I have other lights either on me or very nearby).

So I've chosen "both".

But if I had to choose just one, I would go with the Tip because it is more versatile. Having both reinforces my confidence in near instant, quick, ready light.

My preference would be if Nitecore put buttons similar to the Tip's on the Mini (I hate the 1.5 second delay) AND if the ORIGINAL lockout mode on the first generation of the Tip were available for both the Tiny and the Tip. Setting the Tip to timing itself off is not nearly as satisfying to me as pressing two buttons together to power on or in the alternative, to power off.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Tini on a whim because one of my keychain lights had issues. It seems decently made, but not what I really want in a Keychain light, so right now it's in the drawer.

I really don't like a rechargeable for a keychain light because I might not keep it topped up.

pc_light

Enlightened
What's your experience and preference?
I'm comfortable pocketing and prefer the run times and size of the TIP. Also :thumbsup: on the the CRI. However, if size were an issue the Tini would be my choice between these two; I actually find the Tini too small. (If small size was important and I could choice any, I would prefer the LAD.)

My other lights actually attached ti key rings are small cylindrical AAA's (old Fenix L0P SE and DGQ Tiny AAA).

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The looks and size of the TINI work for the workplace. It is convenient to press and hold the mode button for brief maximum light. Keeping it on timed-to-off mode helps to avoid battery drain. When it needs to be used for an extended time, it is simple to hold both buttons to get to constant-on then hold both buttons again when finished. It is dangling on an ITW Grimloc with a swivel joint connector. For those brief-use moments, it does not need to be removed from the belt loop.

This also how I use the TIP, but it just about always needs to have both buttons held to unlock it (2017 version) so it takes just about as long to activate as the annoying TINI power button delay. The graphite colored TIP CRI I carry has wear marks, so it works for rougher environments since it is already scratched up. The silver TINI still looks good from carrying it for my kind of work, and the tint on the TINI is not distracting for the kind of use I have.

The TINI looks different/interesting, but the TIP CRI is the choice for outdoor and house use.

Hopefully you will sort it out to your satisfaction.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to take LetThereBeLight!'s example, and EDC both the TIP and the Tini.

Based on the replies, I also checked out the Manker LAD and the ITW Grimloc. Both interesting in their own way. The Grimloc is different, but what works well for me, is having the Tini on a retractable ring so I can find the light "instantly," and don't have to worry about losing and/or misplacing it. Civilian Labs' retractor with it's wired cord works great.

ToddM

Enlightened
When my LAD died I got a TINI and to start off I really liked the TINI a lot more than my pre-LAD TIP, however over time I've discovered an issue at least for my use that has brought me back to hunting for a new keychain light, and my TIP is back on my keys in the meantime.

Now I admit that I may not use my keychain light for a month or two at a time or more but when I need it, I need it. The last 2-3 times I've needed the TINI it's been dead, or only lasted a few seconds. I just found this out again today, when I tried using it and it only lasted a few seconds and turned off and I'm pretty sure I haven't used it since I last charged it, which admittedly could be a couple months, but I think I read a review here that stated Nitecore said the battery should last a year or so without being used. For giggles I went to my TIP that has been on the counter for a least a couple months without a charge, and it ran on high for 10-15 minutes before i shut it off.

I guess I should do some testing, I don't have the 30 second off "Demo" mode engaged so I guess it's possible it's inadvertently turning itself on, running itself dead and I've never noticed. I don't frequently do the battery level check so I could start doing that weekly.

It's unfortunate because I do like the design/size etc. but it seems like whenever I need it, it's dead.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
TIP

I have owned a TIP since they were introduced. I do not own a TINI. The TIP has a better size to performance ratio for my uses. I also like the switch better on the TIP.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
ToddM,
Sorry to hear the frustrating issues you are having. I had been carrying a TINI everyday for over a year I think, always keeping it in "demo mode" except sometimes after extensive use. I do not carry it or the TIP in a pocket to avoid unintentional you-know-what's, but have it dangling from a Grimloc carabiner attached to a belt loop. A few times while lying down the TINI would go on for the 30 seconds, then go off. My wife is now carrying that TINI on her keychain but she does not put it in her pocket. It's in her purse. She has not had any problem and it is kept in demo mode. Now I have a copper TINI but it has been on a table for some weeks now. It is still blinking 3 times. This, after I did some carrying of it to check function. I will start using the TINI again in latter August probably; been using the Klarus TP20 Ti for day carry.

Maybe you could try demo mode?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC the TIP .. Larger buttons / larger battery / cover for the buttons / and good output for size ..
The TINI how ever -

Has anyone tested output ?
Mine is balls to the wall crazy ...
I put it in the light box and could not believe the reading ..
So I tested it against the Jet TH15 in a darkened room ..
Jet was on Medium 464 Lumen , and I pointed it at the ceiling above my head ..
Then did the same with the TINI on Turbo , it simply blew the Jet away ..
The TINI is a tiny little foaming at the mouth rabid monster .

Djblank80

Newly Enlightened
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread just wondering people opionions on the Olight l1r or the TIP?