T-J-C

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am looking for a new head torch. I would like the following features:

• Red mode
  • Zoomable
  • Rechargeable
  • Adjustable brightness

I have no experience with 18650 batteries which seem to feature in most of the torches I have found. I understand these can be troublesome. Is it worth buying an unbranded torch or will they be more trouble than they're worth?

I will mainly be using it for hiking/hillwalking. I'd like the brightest I can get, preferable with a zoom function as I often need to be able to see points that are far away. I know a lot of the brightness claims aren't true on the budget torches, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a known brand.

I have found the following, will they be any good?

(EDIT) ...
MakeTheOne Headlamp
AkaleRechargeable Headlamp
... (links removed)

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

harro

Enlightened
I use a Fenix HL60R. Has a neutral white main led, and a couple of small secondary red leds. Its usb rechargeable, although I recharge the cell in a dedicated charger. Its not a zoomer, but has a nice blend of throw/flood. As far as 18650's go, opt for a quality, protected cell, and a good charger, and you should be fine. I've used 18650's for 10+years in flashlights, and never a problem. We've all seen those YT videos where someone whacks the heck out of an 18650 with a hammer, then says ' watch how dangerous it is '............
Od6PGLz.jpg

PevXt5B.jpg

This one is mine, and the other thing I like is the removable top strap, if required.
I probably wouldn't go jogging with it, as it may be a bit heavy for that, but there are plastic fantastic's for that.

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
I've just reviewed the Nitecore HC65 and that has a red and high CRI auxiliary lights, 1000lm brightness, and decent runtimes on low and mid modes. Fantastic headlamp! Do you really need zoom? If you are looking for zoom, you may be limited to Ledlenser and Coast, which will severely limit your options, and they often have horrible purple tints (unless they've recently improved).