H4/9003 ATV halogen replacement bulb recommendation

LightBandit

Newly Enlightened
I have an ATV (Yamaha grizzly) that uses two H4/9003 bulbs. Stock bulbs are 35 watts (dim and yellow) and I am looking for an upgrade. PIAA seems to market to anti-vibration crowd but I am not a fan of blue tints nor paying 2X more than I have to. I am looking for a direct replacement - 55 watt(ish) bulb that will stand up to all the bumps an ATV is accustomed to. Looking for best long life/performance.

I know I can add an LED light bar - but just looking to upgrade the stock bulbs at this time. I'm open to LED bulbs that would be a direct fit, but I do not want to deal with external cables or voltage adapters, etc.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
A 35/35w bulb is going to be an HS1, not an H4. Strong probability that your wiring, switches, and the headlamp reflector itself are not going to be able to handle the extra heat and power draw of a 60/55w bulb. And so-called "LED bulbs" do not work effectively or safely.

You're right to reject PIAA's fraudulent, overpriced junk, though.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any other way to boost light output over stock other than I have seen many on ATV forums are installing LED light bars for improved output.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightBandit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I can confirm it is an H4/9003 35 watt bulb right from the manual. I had one bulb burn out and thought i'd simply replace them both. Lots of folks are running external LED bars and such. I have a 15amp fuse and was told any 55 watt bulb should work.

It seems like most bulbs are advertising gimics set forth to simply confuse use and take our $$$.

Do you have a bulb with high/low, 55 watts recommendation that is a good anti-vibration bulb?

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Don't do the HID gig in your lights. We had different ATVs for years. Not all, but most of the folks I knew that I used the HID kits were unhappy with the results. You might not like the idea of aux LED lights, but that's really about the best way to get more light.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There is no such thing as a 35/35-watt H4 or 9003 bulb. Your manual is in error. H4 and 9003 bulbs are 60/55w bulbs.

Who told you 60/55w bulbs will work without a problem?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I can confirm it is an H4/9003 35 watt bulb right from the manual.
The manual is wrong either about the bulb designation (no H4 is 35W/35W) or the wattage (an H4 is a 60W/55W bulb).

I have a 15amp fuse and was told any 55 watt bulb should work.
Sure, if the fuse were the only concern. The wiring and the reflector and lens materials, on the other hand, may not tolerate it well at all.