Purchase recommendation

ElevatorConstructor

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from my crappy 3x AAA Rayovac headlamp. It was free and so are batteries, but the output and runtime are horrible. I was interested in the Olight H2R nova, but the "customized" battery has me a bit worried. From what I've read so far, Zebralight seems to be the flavor of choice around these parts, there's just so many to choose from.

The light will be strapped to a hard hat and subject to some abuse. Mainly need light for up close work. I don't need any red emitters or moonlight mode

The Rayovac claims to be 50 lumens and is just barely adequate but I don't need 2000lm. I'm leaning towards using 18650 for power source just for capacity. I'm tired of switching out AAAs every other day.

I hope this post made some kind of sense. Thanks in advance!

parametrek

Enlightened
Zebralights are a solid choice that will last you a long time. Both in terms of how well they are built and the batteries. Zebralight has some of the most efficient circuitry in the market and a single 18650 packs as much power as 12 AAAs.

I think you'd like the H603d. It is one of their less expensive models ($79) and is pure flood. It also comes in a high color rendering index neutral white tint which looks very similar to sunlight. Neutral white usually means less eyestrain after long use and high CRI means that colors will look more accurate. I imagine the mode you'd find most useful is the 121 lumen mode that will run consistently for 11 hours.

e1000

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure you can use any 18650 in the Olight H2R Nova, with the drawback that if you use a "normal" 18650, you won't be able to use the magnetic charging port. Otherwise the light will function the same.

ElevatorConstructor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

I still have a couple more noob questions.

1) XM-L2 vs XHP35/50.... I've read that the XHPs are more efficient at the higher outputs, but with me staying mostly under 200 lumens, will I see any benefit (i.e. runtime)? I ask because it's only another $10 for XHP models and I'd rather buy once, cry once.

2) it seems like ZL doesn't include any cells (which is why Olight might be a better value). Which 18650 and charger would be best suited? Ideally, I'd like a spare or two.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alternatively the Thrunite H20 is a great headlamp that uses a single AA cell and has infinite steps of brightness so there is a setting for everyone. It also has a separate setting for turbo and firefly. :faint:

nightshade

Enlightened
Yep, another vote for a Zebralight or Thrunite TH20. The Thrunite does not have the battery check feature nor is its electronics potted. But I have been very impressed with it's durability and efficiency using various battery chemistries including alkaline. It has survived several 4-9 foot drops to concrete and a few 2-16 foot immersions in salt water. Still ticking after 14 months use and abuse.
A deep carry pocket clip from Mountain Electronics and neo magnets have increased it's usability. I have always enjoyed infinitely variable flashlights and I use that TH20 feature frequently for night fishing , boat and dock maintenance.

2hzh7bm.jpg