Over-the-Stove Microwave Range Hood Light LED Replacement?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a General Electric (GE) over-the-stove microwave. There are two incandescent bulbs in there and it seems like we replace them fairly often. What LEDs would people here recommend to replace the incandescent bulbs?

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm guessing the original is a T7 15W bulb. That's what my GE took. If it has a high and low like mine, make sure the LED replacement works with that.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over-The-Stove Microwave Range Hood Light LED Replacement?

The labeling is difficult to read, even with a magnifying glass, but it states the obvious of 125V and 40W. It looks to be a T8 shape with an E17 base.

I didn't have much luck at my local Menard's and Home Depot. I did check the label on the appliance. I have a GE JVM3160DF2CC. So, I checked the online owners manual. It states the following:

"Cooktop Lights/Nite Lights
Replace with 120 volt, 40 watt (max) incandescent
bulbs. Order WB25X10030 from your GE supplier."

So, when I Google "WB25X10030 LED replacement, I get the following:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...MI__rH_9SI2wIVR77ACh0y6AjsEAQYASABEgK-FPD_BwE

I might just give those a try! Does anybody know for sure if it will work with high and low settings?

Last edited:

Renegadethreads

Newly Enlightened
I've been replacing these every couple of years in a different brand hood, but they work well for that time. Nice bright cool white.
[FONT=&quot]
51aIcl8kfbL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]E17 LED Bulbs 72X3014 Microwave Oven Light Dimmable 5 Watt Daylight White 6000K Intermediate Base AC120V (Pack of 2)-kknus0123

Link: http://a.co/fksZSxE[/FONT]

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been replacing these every couple of years in a different brand hood, but they work well for that time. Nice bright cool white.
[FONT="][IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51aIcl8kfbL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#111111][FONT="]E17 LED Bulbs 72X3014 Microwave Oven Light Dimmable 5 Watt Daylight White 6000K Intermediate Base AC120V (Pack of 2)-kknus0123

Link: http://a.co/fksZSxE[/FONT]

That is interesting. I did read their disclaimer, too:

"DON'T install the bulb inside microwave oven.") Maybe none of them will last long, either incandescent or LED, for that very reason.

I did ask my wife today, when she has installed them in the past, if she uses her bare hand. She told me that she has. My understanding is that the oils in a person's skin reduces the life of those bulbs.

EDIT: I did send an email and specifically asked about their products and they suggested their T22 LED Replacement Bulb for WB36X10003 and other Microwave Light Bulbs - 225 Lumens
Part Number: T22D-x2DF-E17.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...6x10003-and-other-microwave-light-bulbs/3439/

I also found these on Ebay, which specifically mention microwave ovens.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222677527156?var=521531490433

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did ask my wife today, when she has installed them in the past, if she uses her bare hand. She told me that she has. My understanding is that the oils in a person's skin reduces the life of those bulbs.
That applies to halogen bulbs and failure of the envelopes, either cracking or sometimes shattering. It's not going to affect your run-of-the-mill appliance bulbs.

archimedes

Flashaholic
OP, please don't "copy-paste" private communications, including eMails.

Paraphrasing and/or presenting a condensed version (summary) of private communications is perfectly acceptable. Direct Quotes (copy and paste) are NOT acceptable in the open forums unless all authors agree in the open forum to waive claims to privacy.

Appropriate edits to your post above would be appreciated, thanks

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
These arrived this afternoon. When I opened the package, I found out that the glass was cracked on one of the bulbs. installed both of them anyway. I noticed that when LOT is selected, they seem to be strobing. Is that caused by the broken glass, something to do with the LOW setting, or something else?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're not dimmable LED bulbs OR if they are, the dim setting on your hood just isn't compatible with LEDs. The hood was designed with incan bulbs in mind, they aren't effected by chopped waveform power like LEDs are.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have encountered the strobing effect with my own stove hood (Nutone brand) and LED's that are dimmable, as well as in a "3-way" floor lamp (which turned out not actually have a 3-way switch, but an inline electronic dimmer). Some LED's strobe. Others don't light up at all.

In both cases, it appears the method the fixture uses to dim the bulb is the issue - some sort of weird signal that I haven't troubleshot any further.

I gave up and have continued using halogen's in my range hood for the time being.

It looks like the issue of the this type of poor quality dimmer being used in over-the-range appliances might be more widespread than just the brand I had the poor experience with.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is interesting. Well, considering how little power LEDs draw, I guess the simple solution is to simply run them on HIGH!

BobBrian

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! I cannot find a replacement LED bulb for my just installed (following the guide) samsung microwave nightlight. I pulled the bulb out and it is unmarked. The manual says to "replace with a 40w appliance bulb". The bulb is long and narrow in shape. I am looking for the brightest possible replacement.

Thanks much for the help