Who's taking over at Home Depot?

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
A little while ago, I noticed that almost all off the Ax/household/non-specialty bulbs at Home Despot were marked with yellow clearance tags on the shelf. I would have picked up some spares, but the discounts weren't that great.

Fast forward to yesterday, all the shelves were bare except for Feit products. I asked one of the associates what was going on, and he said Philips/GE and the other brands were being replaced by Feit and another brand. Anyone know what the story is, or what the other brand will be? I haven't been back since.

It also appears they're revamping the stores, eliminating the customer service counters in favor of stations with terminals.

The checkout stands are also gone, in favor of table-like self-checkout stations, none of which were ready to take cash. I wonder how that will work?

I had to have the attendant corral a guy to check me out. Sorry dude, I'm not going to charge an 88 cent light switch, and then have corporate spam me for a review because I had bought something online from your with the same card in the past, courtesy of your unwanted big data analysis, so drop the pissy attitude.

Ugh.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
If it's in California the CEC recently banned just about every LED currently on the market. They are pushing for higher efficiency, higher CRI bulbs. They must also have a "JA8 Compliant" stamp, also.

It's crazy because some of these bulbs, in some form factors, don't even exist yet. So, for us in California, it will be awhile.

Some stores stocked up. Not all have.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Last month at my local Home Despot I got a box of 2 x GE Reveal LED 100 watt equiv on clearance for $6, my kinda deal. All the Feits I've ever bought have the 60hz PWM.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
Last month at my local Home Despot I got a box of 2 x GE Reveal LED 100 watt equiv on clearance for $6, my kinda deal. All the Feits I've ever bought have the 60hz PWM.

It's 120Hz and it's not PWM, it's ripple from the input AC.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
If it's in California the CEC recently banned just about every LED currently on the market. They are pushing for higher efficiency, higher CRI bulbs. They must also have a "JA8 Compliant" stamp, also.

It's crazy because some of these bulbs, in some form factors, don't even exist yet. So, for us in California, it will be awhile.

Yes, you have a lot of stupid regulatory people in California. Want to improve your energy efficiency for the tradeoff of subjective light quality?? Sorry, you can't do that!

You have never ever seen a >80CRI 4000K light source before, but we will insist that is what you will use even if it costs more and is less efficient.

You like lighting over 4000K because it provides better visual acuity and wakes you up? Too bad!

Residential LED lighting draws very little power, but we will insist on a PF of 0.9 even for low power sources. Hey, so it costs more and reduces the efficiency of the bulb (like 90CRI).

You have no intention of ever dimming the bulb .... too bad! You must buy the bulb that is dimmable, even though it costs more, and likely loses some efficiency because it is dimmable.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened

What do they expect people to use in the meantime? Those compact fluorescent bulbs that are full of mercury and don't last as long? :thinking:

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
The irony is that, to my knowledge, all of the pin-based CFL's didn't get banned. Contractors are still putting them in homes in California. They are still getting kickbacks for installing "energy efficient" fixtures. they are awful: warm up period, burn out quickly, usually break when trying to remove them from a can light.

It's getting absurd lol.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened

That wouldn't surprise me, but I didn't notice any upheavals at any other stores, and one would think that, given the sensationalist bent the media has now, especially local TV news during May Sweeps, they'd make a big deal of it. Literally all but 25% of the lighting aisle was bare.

This strikes me more as a turf battle, with HD cutting a new deal with someone other Philips for the shelf space. Cree had their time when they first pushed their LED bulbs, Philips then took over as Cree receded some, and shared space with the HD house brand, Ecosmart, as it grew. GE was always a minor player, with bigger presences at Target and Walmart, then disappeared entirely.

Feit has been hit and miss for me, but I'd still prefer Philips and like choice. BLowes is Sylvania/Utilitech (Feit) territory, and I can't think of any other major B&M retailer that carries Philips. It has small presences in Staples, Pep Boys, and the walking dead Sears/KM, but certainly nothing on the same scale as it had with HD.

I need to go back soon, so I'll see what the situation is.

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes I wonder if CEC requires frosted and reflector type LED bulbs to be plastic and heat sink based, rather than filament and glass based? Only decorative and clear bulbs come in glass and filament, while frost A shape and all reflector lamps are plastic. Yet in other states the classic glass style filament LED bulb, even in Europe, is taking over like crazy.

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
That wouldn't surprise me, but I didn't notice any upheavals at any other stores, and one would think that, given the sensationalist bent the media has now, especially local TV news during May Sweeps, they'd make a big deal of it. Literally all but 25% of the lighting aisle was bare.

This strikes me more as a turf battle, with HD cutting a new deal with someone other Philips for the shelf space. Cree had their time when they first pushed their LED bulbs, Philips then took over as Cree receded some, and shared space with the HD house brand, Ecosmart, as it grew. GE was always a minor player, with bigger presences at Target and Walmart, then disappeared entirely.

Feit has been hit and miss for me, but I'd still prefer Philips and like choice. BLowes is Sylvania/Utilitech (Feit) territory, and I can't think of any other major B&M retailer that carries Philips. It has small presences in Staples, Pep Boys, and the walking dead Sears/KM, but certainly nothing on the same scale as it had with HD.

I need to go back soon, so I'll see what the situation is.

Like I said though, "Light sources meeting the requirements of this Appendix shall be marked with "JA8-2016" to indicate their compliance with the criteria of this Appendix" -- if it doesn't say that, it can't be sold.

Because some major outlets stocked up. Like when they banned a lot of standard incandescent bulbs. They are allowed to sell bulbs before January 2018. Any new stock, not meeting requirements would be illegal to sell

Im dealing with the issue first hand. There are manufacturers out there and others are getting them out. But the cost skyrocketed, for me, at least. I'm selling a 90+CRI Satco for over 5.99 a bulb. They sell because all remodeled homes have to meet the standard.

Last edited:

Lustre

Newly Enlightened
Home Depot seems to be full of very cheap, high CRI Cree lightbulbs now. I haven't been following this so maybe this is old news but these dimmable lightbulbs are claiming 95 CRI and are $2 a piece. That seems like a great deal to me. I also can't find them online anywhere else.

The bulbs on Home Depot: *link removed

Their energy star page with the 95 CRI spec.: *link removed

If this is a result of California regulation, I like it.

Is this something new or have I not been paying close enough attention?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lustre

Newly Enlightened
Home Depot seems to be full of very cheap, high CRI Cree lightbulbs now. I haven't been following this so maybe this is old news but these dimmable lightbulbs are claiming 95 CRI and are $2 a piece. That seems like a great deal to me. I also can't find them online anywhere else.

The bulbs on Home Depot: *link removed

Their energy star page with the 95 CRI spec.: *link removed

If this is a result of California regulation, I like it.

Is this something new or have I not been paying close enough attention?

Looks like I can't post links and can't figure out how to edit my post. The post doesn't provide much info that way. Hopefully, posting the bulb model ID is ok and will make my post more meaningful. The bulbs' model is: TA19-08050MDFH25-12DE26-1-12

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said though, "Light sources meeting the requirements of this Appendix shall be marked with "JA8-2016" to indicate their compliance with the criteria of this Appendix" -- if it doesn't say that, it can't be sold.

Because some major outlets stocked up. Like when they banned a lot of standard incandescent bulbs. They are allowed to sell bulbs before January 2018. Any new stock, not meeting requirements would be illegal to sell

Im dealing with the issue first hand. There are manufacturers out there and others are getting them out. But the cost skyrocketed, for me, at least. I'm selling a 90+CRI Satco for over 5.99 a bulb. They sell because all remodeled homes have to meet the standard.

Are you telling me that if I get a permit for remodeling part of my house I have to change out all of my l.e.d. lightbulbs to their newer less efficient high C.R.I. l.e.d. bulbs?

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
Are you telling me that if I get a permit for remodeling part of my house I have to change out all of my l.e.d. lightbulbs to their newer less efficient high C.R.I. l.e.d. bulbs?

It can be a bit vague but, yes, for any "major remodel" you must be JA8 complaint. That includes other rules besides the bulbs too. Like, for instance, some fixtures in some areas of the house must have dimmers or vacancy sensors.

Lustre: I'm curious if they are selling old stock or not. You should see if the bulbs have JA8 stamped on them. If you go back let us know. They could just be clearing them out for the new bulbs.

Lustre

Newly Enlightened
It can be a bit vague but, yes, for any "major remodel" you must be JA8 complaint. That includes other rules besides the bulbs too. Like, for instance, some fixtures in some areas of the house must have dimmers or vacancy sensors.

Lustre: I'm curious if they are selling old stock or not. You should see if the bulbs have JA8 stamped on them. If you go back let us know. They could just be clearing them out for the new bulbs.

I was not able to find any mention of JA8 on the bulb itself. I threw out the boxes. I'll look at the boxes next time I go to Home Depot. At the same time, the Energy Star website lists them as brand new on the market - released 3/20/2018. I would provide a link to the Energy Star page but I'm not allowed to on the forum. Going to energystar.gov and searching for the model id I listed previously brings up the bulb's specs. The specs look pretty good to me.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer Cree bulbs I saw at Home Depot said they were Title 20 compliant. The 60 watt bulbs were in a 2 pack for $8 and claimed 25,000 hour lifespan, 815 lumens, over 90 CRI, dimmable, used 10 watts, and claimed to be rated for enclosed fixtures. I'm guessing these are the new standard bulbs. Looks like they use .5 to 1 watt more than their previous regular bulbs, but are 3 or more watts less than their previous high CRI bulbs. Some of the non-dimming bulbs were at or below 8 watts so it looks like these aren't quite as efficient as some of the previous bulbs, but not too bad considering they're high CRI. I just hate it when our options are taken away from us. L.e.d.s have the potential of giving us the option of any color tint or color we could want at any given time with choices of CRI, tint, color, dimming or not, and programability. To tell us we must buy one specific product that doesn't suit our needs while eliminating all other options is a facet of Communism. I hope they stop taking away our choices and let the free market determine what stays on the market. They're heading down a slippery slope that leads down a dark path.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Easy guys, let's not get carried away with speculation. We don't want this thread to "head down a slippery slope".

Bill

see level

Enlightened
No matter how high up you go The Horizon Rises to your eye level and the natural physics of water is to find and maintain its own level.
"We" have already been going down a slippery slope for a long time.

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
No matter how high up you go The Horizon Rises to your eye level and the natural physics of water is to find and maintain its own level.
"We" have already been going down a slippery slope for a long time.

Well actually your brain subconsciously lowers your gaze, similar to what happens when the foreground level lighting in a car is too high and/or the change in angle is too small to be noticeable. Also, water does not find and maintain its own level, but achieves the state of lowest potential energy ... but then again we are talking light bulbs, not cars and flat earth nonsense.