Best Bang for Buck...Fenix?

LL4L

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm new to quality lights...my friend/colleague introduced me to Fenix lights and they seem like really good quality and good value. I came across the forum when doing some research online and thought I'd pose the question and get everyone's thoughts. I'm coming from "big box" lights (like Coast and Energizer) so I'm thinking anything will be an upgrade.

Here is what I am looking for...I honestly have no clue to the specs I need, so apologize if me descriptions are a bit generic. I'm just getting into the market, but I'm willing to pay for quality...somewhere around $100/light seems reasonable. Like I said Fenix looked nice from what my friend had, so if any recos/thoughts on them would be great, but if other recos that works too!

Looking for 3 lights:

1. An EDC that is compact, Ideally with belt clip and or holster. I'm used to regular AA/AAA battery lights, but would be open to recos for 18650 rechargable. Maybe 200-300 lumens is more than enough and don't need a huge throw. Something durable is best.

2. A headlamp...mostly used for camping/hiking. I think I prefer a rechargeable and something with a good run time. Although I have only ever owned Energizer battery operated, I like what I have read about 18650 rechargeables and like the idea of have a few lights that use the same rechargeable power source. Looking for something with descent lumens and throw (maybe 800+ on high and 200+ meters). Not too fussed on front or back battery pack...something comfortable with a good strap.

3. Something fun! A light with some cool features...high lumens, long throw, different functions. Willing to spend a bit more on this...maybe $150. I camp with my 12 year old son...something that makes me the cool dad!

Look forward to the recos!

parametrek

Enlightened
Fenix is usually my go-to recommendation. They have a large selection of different types of light and good build quality and simple interfaces.

I find 18650 a little bulky for EDC and prefer a slimmer AA light. The Zebralight SC53c is a solid choice. Very great construction too.

For headlamps 200 meters of throw is a lot! Usually headlamps tend to be floody. The Nitecore HC33 is one of the throwiest 18650 headlamps at 187 meters but the mode spacing is terrible for camping. The $30 Wowtac A2S has almost as much throw (182 meters) and much better mode spacing and has a neutral white option.

Something fun.... Mountain Electronics has the Emisar D1S for $40. It is the most throw in the smallest package that you can get anywhere. They also have the Noctigon Meteor M43 for $98 and it can do more than 7000 lumens. Though it is worthwhile taking a slight reduction in lumens and getting the high CRI 219C version. Those 2 lights together are probably the best way to blow $150 :)

colight

Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm new to quality lights...my friend/colleague introduced me to Fenix lights and they seem like really good quality and good value. I came across the forum when doing some research online and thought I'd pose the question and get everyone's thoughts. I'm coming from "big box" lights (like Coast and Energizer) so I'm thinking anything will be an upgrade.

Here is what I am looking for...I honestly have no clue to the specs I need, so apologize if me descriptions are a bit generic. I'm just getting into the market, but I'm willing to pay for quality...somewhere around $100/light seems reasonable. Like I said Fenix looked nice from what my friend had, so if any recos/thoughts on them would be great, but if other recos that works too!

Looking for 3 lights:

1. An EDC that is compact, Ideally with belt clip and or holster. I'm used to regular AA/AAA battery lights, but would be open to recos for 18650 rechargable. Maybe 200-300 lumens is more than enough and don't need a huge throw. Something durable is best.

2. A headlamp...mostly used for camping/hiking. I think I prefer a rechargeable and something with a good run time. Although I have only ever owned Energizer battery operated, I like what I have read about 18650 rechargeables and like the idea of have a few lights that use the same rechargeable power source. Looking for something with descent lumens and throw (maybe 800+ on high and 200+ meters). Not too fussed on front or back battery pack...something comfortable with a good strap.

3. Something fun! A light with some cool features...high lumens, long throw, different functions. Willing to spend a bit more on this...maybe $150. I camp with my 12 year old son...something that makes me the cool dad!

Look forward to the recos!

Fenix all the way!! Another Fenix fan here, so these are my recommendations for you:

1. EDC: The Fenix LD12. AAA driven, with belt clip, 320 lumens (depending on battery type), and beam distance of up to 135 m (same as lumens).

2. Headlamp: Have a look at the Fenix HP30R at 1750 lumens - spot- and floodlight combined. Around $130 will bring you this with a belt-worn battery case that holds 18650 batteries, micro USB rechargeability, and with a beam distance of 202 m.

3. About the fun factor - I'll have to go with LL4L above. I cannot give a better recommendation, but his seems to be solid. Otherwise you could have a look at the Fenix TK47 with that interesting tail light. That will certainly make you a cool dad! :D

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the EDC, if you're set on a AA or AAA light, I'd get something cheap if you plan on using alkalines. A 2AA Maglite Pro or Pro Plus will get you over 250 lumens for $20-$30. A Rayovac Indestructible 2AA is 300 lumens and $10. Personally, I like a Nitecore Tip or Tip CRI for EDC. It's rechargeable for frequent use and up to 360 lumens on turbo. They go for $30-$35. For AAA, I like the Olight I3S. My favorite 2AA light was a 4sevens Quark Pro 2A, but they went out of business. Fenix lights have had battery compatibility issues in the 2AA format in the past (couldn't use lithium batteries) which is a turn off for looking for a quality light.

For a headlamp, I like the Nitecore HC60. There are brighter options, but they usually require certain types of lower capacity, higher drain batteries to function at the higher level. When I want something lighter and still pretty bright, I like the Nitecore NU series lights, especially the NU20 and NU30. Fenix has a few similar lights but I don't like my lights to dim down after 2 hours on all but the low setting.

For the bright fun light, Fenix has some options, but so does Nitecore (Tiny Monster series), Olight, and Klarus. If you really want to have fun with bright lights, get a L.E.P. (light emitting plasma) light kit and some car batteries and light up several city blocks.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
1. Streamlight protac 1L-1AA. Runs longer at 350 lumens on a Tenergy lifepo4 AA than my Fenix LD09 did on a 14500 at 220 lumens. LD09 was trash in comparison. 1L-1AA uses regular cr123 or regular aa with no extension tube to add. Best tint of anything in its class.

2. Olight H1R in neutral. Camping hiking or hunting. It's perfect and charges quick on a solar panel.

3. I use a Nitecore MT40GT. runs long and throws real far, even on lower lumen modes. If I'm pocket carrying then the Streamlight HL-X Goes along. It's bright and throws great for the size. Much more than I actually need. Keep that one on high and it's my go to for blinding raccoons that need a dirt nap late at night.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have generally set up friends with Fenix lights, as they make a wide selection and are decent designs w/ good build quality. I do think that Streamlight does well with their 1xAAA Microstream & 2xAAA Stylus Pro - I have carried mine for 8+ yrs with no issues at all.

For long-term ownership, I personally stick with SureFires - a number of positive aspects of them that I won't bother with detailing here. But over the long haul, they do hold their value very well (in part, due to their first-class warranty). I tend to purchase my SF's used, and have found that they can sell for comparable prices if I decide to move on. Excellent long-term values IMO.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
1. I'm not familiar with holsters, so I'm going to name off a few options for EDC I like that might fit what you want otherwise. I'm a fan of the BLF A6/Astrolux S1 and I'd recommend either the neutral or warm white version. It's a single 18650 tube light often compared to a modded Convoy S2+. It's inexpensive and great value. If you wanted a AA based light for a holster, I have an Armytek Partner A2 that I picked up from one of their deep discount promotions for about $20. It's extremely durable and actually comes with a holster. For a smaller light that I'd consider more "EDC" or pocketable, I'd look toward the Olight S1 Mini (the colourful titanium one is pretty nice), or a single AA light such as from Zebralight or the L3 Illuminations L11C (both have high CRI versions available).

2. I could talk all day about headlamps. I have a Zebralight H600Fc Mk IV and an Armytek Wizard Pro XHP50 warm as my main two. I wouldn't hesitate recommending either, depending on which UI and set of features you prefer. Note that either one will not sustain turbo for very long due to heat- usually I'd use a much lower mode for walking around. Throw has generally not been something I like in headlamps; a bright hotspot is a bit too... tunnel vision like for me. Carrying a light for throw has worked out much better for me.

3. For argument's sake let's say you got the Astrolux S1 and one of the two headlamps I mentioned. That's about $125. Add on a heap of cells (like Samsung 30q, or Vapcell's rewrapped VTC5D, or Sanyo NCR18650GA, for example) and a charger and you still are well within budget... and definitely have the full budget available for FUN. :devil: Some examples of things you could get for the rest of your budget or less:
- Emisar Set (D1S, D1, and D4, of which the D1S is a great thrower, the D1 is a mini thrower, and the D4 is a wall of light)
- A modified light from Vinh
- A light made of special materials, such as titanium or copper
- BLF Q8

PartyPete

Enlightened
Fenix is a pretty solid brand. I have a dozen or so of their lights and none have failed me yet, despite years of abuse. From all the feedback I've read, they have a pretty superb warranty and great support.

I think for more of a long term investment, it's a good choice.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me the best bang for the buck was the Thrunite Archer 1AV2. After seeing the extreme torture tests some put them through (washing machine, freezer, shoot it with a crossbow etc) it was an easy choice. It still performs flawlessly today.