Can you leave Charger plugged in?

sweetlight

Newly Enlightened
Pretty basic question as the title states. I want to leave a basic four slot Eneloop Charger plugged in for my son to use. There probably won't be any batteries in it most of the time. I think I've heard your not supposed to do it. Can someone set me straight? Thanks!

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya you can leave it plugged in. It will draw a negligible amount of power being plugged in when its not being used and that is the main reason I don't like to leave things plugged in but also the plugging in and out of an AC socket wears the socket out but that takes quite a few ins and outs. I'd leave it plugged in if its more convenient.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plugged in is fine, as long as the charger cuts off completely when the charge is done. You don't want to overcharge or trickle-charge Eneloops, as it will cause them to wear out prematurely. If he's in a good habit of removing them as soon as they're charged, then a trickle-charge issue is less important.

Depending on the charger, it may use about a watt of power in standby, even when no batteries are in it. That's a few pennies per week.