Looking for the strongest beam ever

MaximeH

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone !

I'm trying to build a led beam, the same as moving heads on stage lights.
It's for a light art installation. This is my job, and you can have a look at collectif-coin.com

My first attempt is with a CFT-90-W, an aspheric lens from Optolife (A380 : diam=120mm, f=161.5mm), and a cheap condenser lens taken from a led pin spot.
I'd like to post a picture of a comparison test between the above beam and a Martin MH3 (with a philips 5r inside :), but I can't ...

The results are not so good. I'm pretty sure I have to find the right first condenser lens, but I don't know which one could fit.
Somebody to help me ?
How can I throw a maximum of light to the 120mm lens ?

Thank you !

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
To post a picture you need to put it on some hosting site, then paste a link to the picture in the box that pops up when you click the "insert an image" button.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stage lights use very high surface brightness sources, so they are easier to focus for long distances. Even then, it takes 2 - 3, engineered optical stages to pull it off.

LEDs typically have substantially lower surface brightness and the emission angles are completely different, so the optical stages are also quite different.

A few years ago, I spent around US$ 3K in parts to play with multi stage optics and LEDs. I learned a lot and got fairly far, but it is a non trivial endeavour.

If I were to do it over again, I would hire an optical engineer with the proper software simulation tools. It would have saved a lot of time.

In my own work, I got the furthest by combining a reflector and a lens.

Last edited: