*** Best current "medical" pen light for my Bro-inlaw? ***

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some older Four Sevens lights that are awesome in tint, but I'm trying to find the latest "medical" grade light that renders skin tones etc for my brother in law who's a new Internal Medicine MD. Would like to keep it AA or AAA sized. He's not a flashoholic, so simple and non rechargeable, unless it has a built in charger, is preferred.

Thanks all!

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Nitecore MT06MD. It gets everything right for the physician use case.

--flatline

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Nitecore MT06MD. It gets everything right for the physician use case.

--flatline
Agreed. It has the Nichia emitter for true color rendition. It has the certification for that blue light safety thing. It comes in two versions, plain barrel or a pupil diameter comparison scale on one side. And it just looks sharp.

sygyzy

Enlightened
Wow, I am not a medical professional but after reading the product page, now I want a Nitecore MT06MD. It's so cool!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all! I have a Nitecore AND a Lumintop both on order to compare. May have to post impressions of both once I'm done comparing them both.

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Wait, how about Nextorch Dr. K3? Many seems to know lumintop and nitecore because of their use of nichia, but this k3 is specifically developed after getting input from 100 doctors. Simple 1 mode with 1 aaa and rid of blue light hazard as well. Small flood light reduce the probability of misdiagnose. From the review, almost all seems to be happy with their purchase. :kiss:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191B45AO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all! I have a Nitecore AND a Lumintop both on order to compare. May have to post impressions of both once I'm done comparing them both.
Which Lumintop are you comparing it to? One important point I kind of alluded to in my post. Too much exposure to light in the high blue to ultraviolet range will cause damage to the eye. The MT06MD is certified to not produce this light, while to my knowledge none of the Lumintops are. If you are not going to use the light for eye exams it really isn't an issue, but if you are, especially as a medical person, I would say it would be in your best interest to have a light that carried that certification.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, how about Nextorch Dr. K3? Many seems to know lumintop and nitecore because of their use of nichia, but this k3 is specifically developed after getting input from 100 doctors. Simple 1 mode with 1 aaa and rid of blue light hazard as well. Small flood light reduce the probability of misdiagnose. From the review, almost all seems to be happy with their purchase. :kiss:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0191B45AO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Nice! Looks like another candidate! Love the aspherical light pattern and the ruler on the light. Might have to get this one go for comparison.

Thanks!

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Which Lumintop are you comparing it to? One important point I kind of alluded to in my post. Too much exposure to light in the high blue to ultraviolet range will cause damage to the eye. The MT06MD is certified to not produce this light, while to my knowledge none of the Lumintops are. If you are not going to use the light for eye exams it really isn't an issue, but if you are, especially as a medical person, I would say it would be in your best interest to have a light that carried that certification.

I supposed TS is referring to IYP365 since it is 2xAAA penlight category. One thing about nitecore penlight I concern is the multi mode. What if the button was accidentally hit/pressed while examination? The patient would be blasted with the medium mode, ouch. I would make the penlight stay in 1 mode if not fully tighten and only 3 full modes are accessible if fully tighten if I were nitecore.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just curious: how one light may be certified and another — not when they use the same LED? Or do they use different LED types?

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
I am just curious: how one light may be certified and another — not when they use the same LED? Or do they use different LED types?

I guess it's just the matter of taking it to the lab to be certified or not. Most likely lumintop will pass the test as well since both are using nichia high cri neutral. Maybe lumintop didn't thought of marketing it under medical but just normal penlight.

BTW, lumintop starts on medium instead of low, so it *might* pose some issue to non flashaholic doctor, unaware of the existence of low mode being the next. Another point to consider.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm not pleased with the build quality of the IYP365... I guess for the price point it should be expected - but if you want a higher quality build - I would look elsewhere...

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great input guys. I don't prefer the Lumintop turning on on medium as well. Why not just start in low? Can't wait to get these in to put them to the test!

Torky455

Newly Enlightened
After researching the best light for my friends med-student daughter, I decided I needed to order an MT06MD...for myself.:D Nice light, and the switch is stiff enough that accidentally activating med isn't likely.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the great input guys. I don't prefer the Lumintop turning on on medium as well. Why not just start in low? Can't wait to get these in to put them to the test!
If other than that you like the Lumintops, Massdrop sells versions in brass or copper or titanium with a L/M/H driver sequence. Not all are available all the time, but every so often there is enough interest for them to offer one or more of them.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my wife (psych nurse) the Nextorch Dr. K3 last year and she likes it.
Guess I'll check out the Nitecore as well, since you can't have just one light...

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the idea of the Nextorch Dr K3, but for only being 1AAA, why is it so long? It's only like .2 inches shorter than my Preon 2.

Is it's head legoable with other lights like the Preons, Lumintop Tool, Lumintop Worm, etc? I'd love to put the Dr K3 head on my Lumintop Tool's body with the magnetic tailcap as I always was facinated by the "moon" style beam of the original Inova X1 and also liked the moon beam of my old Dorcy AAA that I can no longer find.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Dr. K3 moments ago, regretfully the male threads are on the head of the light rather than the body, like the Preons, Lumintop Worm and Tool, Thrunite Ti3, etc. The threads are also non anodized, so even if a twisty body would fit it, it'd have to be springless. Bummer

On a positive note, for being 2AAA length with just 1AAA inside, this light has an unexpected heft to it and good balance. It feels good in hand. Now I'm curious, what between the end of the battery and the switch?