Lightsaver miser guts fit sf 6p tail!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found that the guts of the lightsaver incand multimode tail cap for SF E-series is a direct replacement for the stock 6p twisty tail cap. Just like mcclicky but better since no interface ring is required

To me this is huge. The aw multimode regulator has been unobtanium for years while this miser can be had for just $10 right now from here:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Lightsaver-M...for-Surefire-E1e-E2e-E2d-Flashlight/785708989

I have used the miser on my e2e with 350lm bulb on 2x imr, so at this load it functions great. Now tried it in the fm 1794 host, 1000lm for a couple seconds, it survived the test

Go get some while supply lasts. Just paid for two

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good info. Thanks.

IMG_20180520_101126.jpg

The listing words incase the link above is verboten.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I unscrewed the guts out of the miser with needle-nose pliers and then screwed them in in place of the mcclicky. Entirely straightforward

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a PayPal account and don't do the Bay. I just tried searching for this product and didn't come up with any hits. If anyone finds a non-Bay source of this, could you please post it here or PM me? Thanks!

Edit: Oh, Gosh. Sometimes I am so ignorant in the ways of the world. I don't want to get a PayPal account, but did not realize until now that you could do a "buy it now" on the Bay as a "guest" using one's credit card. Anyway, I just purchased one of these. I have an empty Z24 shell I can screw the guts into, perhaps after playing with the entire unit on an e-series. Thanks ma tumba for this thread!

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys keep us informed on service life (ie which combination you're using) i belive it says operating voltage 4-6V. I would use it in 2 IMR setup (7.4V) but still didn't arrived. Any info is welcome.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys keep us informed on service life (ie which combination you're using) i believe it says operating voltage 4-6V. I would use it in 2 IMR setup (7.4V) but still didn't arrived. Any info is welcome.[/QUOTE

The packaging says 3v - 6v, so it should run fine on one Li-ion. I just emailed the company ([email protected]) to ask if they think it will be okay up to 7.4v, or even 9v. Do they even know it will fit into a Z41, or that there are those of us who will be thinking along those lines? I didn't really mention modding, because I didn't want to upset any of their legal consultants. I will be curious to hear back from them.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever they reply, I've been using the miser with 2x16350 imr @1.5amp for a year and this week I went through 2x18500 imr @3amps (the 1794 host with miser guts)

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received an email back from lightsaver, and Ma Tumba's experiences have definitely provided the most data of all.
Here is the email I sent lightsaver:
"Hi,
I recently bought several of your lightsaver miser units. I know that they are intended to be used in one- and two-cell
Surefire E-series lights (which were never made in a 3-cell version), but I use rechargeable Li-ion cells most of the time,
and I was hoping that these could be used with 2x3.7 volts Li-Ion cells (for a total of 7.4 volts), or with 3xCR123a cells
(9 volts)to run other lamp assemblies. There are several other members of my flashlight forum who are quite curious about
the same question, and who would be eager to buy them if the answer is yes. Do you think that this unit could run at up
to 7.4 volts, and/or up to 9 volts? Thank you!"

Here is their reply:
"Good morning xxxxx.

Thank you for your mail, it is good to hear that the tail caps are still around !

We supplied to types of replacement tail caps for the Surefire E series.

1. Switch with dimming functions (100% - 50% - 25%) Not sure if this is the one you call the "Miser"

Unfortunately the maximum voltage for this product is 5.5V. So it can't be used at the voltages you describe.

2. Switch with strobing function (On - Off - Strobe)

This product has a voltage regulator. The maximum input voltage for the voltage regulator is 10V. So it might be possible to use this switch in your application.
Please measure T8 while the flashlight is on to check that the switching noise does not exceed 10V. The maximum current ability for the switching MOSFET is
4A so make sure the current does not exceed 4A.

I hope this information will be useful - please mail us if you have any more questions.

Kind Regards,
xxxx xxxxxxx
LIGHTSAVER(PTY)LTD."

After I bought the first one, I went back and got three more. Because of what Ma Tumba has done, I will put one on an e-series
running 1x17670, another e-series running 2x16340, the guts of another in a 6P+A19 running 2x17500, and the guts of one in a
12ZM running 2x17670. We will see how things go for me.

Thank you again, ma tumba, for letting us know about all this and sharing your experiences.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that while they market their product for e2e which is 6v flashlight, they are talking about 5.5v limit

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
ma tumba,
I received my order of lightsavers today. I installed 2 of them on 2 e-series, and they do what they are supposed to. This may seem like a silly question, but when I looked down into the guts - anticipating unscrewing some of them for some 6P tailcaps coming in - I have a hard time seeing anything past the spring. Did you pull the spring out? Did you just gently insert your needle-nose pliers in through spaces in the spring, and then start turning? Are there "official" spanner wrench divots in there? Thank you!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
ma tumba,
I received my order of lightsavers today. I installed 2 of them on 2 e-series, and they do what they are supposed to. This may seem like a silly question, but when I looked down into the guts - anticipating unscrewing some of them for some 6P tailcaps coming in - I have a hard time seeing anything past the spring. Did you pull the spring out? Did you just gently insert your needle-nose pliers in through spaces in the spring, and then start turning? Are there "official" spanner wrench divots in there? Thank you!

As far as I remember, there is a black retaining ring on the opposite side, around the rubber button. You need to unscrew this ring and remove the guts with the spring

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Just ordered one of these tailcaps for my E2E. I plan on running mine on 2 IMR 16430's and a Lumens Factory HO-E2R. I hope I have good luck running on the IMR's like ma tumba has. I will make sure to report back my results.

The price of these things almost seem too good to be true.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked one up. Can't wait to try it out. I wonder why they say no LED? This on an E series with a VME Head and an M61 would be ideal! I have a bunch of incans I'll try it on if it doesn't work out like that though.