Need a light for fox hunting
Range 300-400 yards
Single 18650
Rifle mountable

EDIT: Not exactly hunting but more on protecting lambs from foxes

Last edited:

Nev

Banned
Why not put a bit of effort into it & trap them & then release them somewhere where people are more tolerant of them?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
So long as it's not illegal (in that case it would violate CPF rules) it's probably best to stay on the topic of gear and not hunting morality pro or con.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try Longhorn Tactical. They have hunting specific packages. They have the colored lights too. I have their triple emitter Orion M30c red led light. Its a private label of an Eagtac light.

Last edited:

Dovii

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly fox hunting, more on protecting lambs from fox attacks

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Got a good scope -- low light loss?
Are there any scopes optimized for minimizing loss in the red or green ?

Probably want an aspheric lens to really get a narrow beam. I have a Klarus FH10, red/green/white LEDs.

I've been meaning to make a list of the different eye color reflections given by various species. red,green,gold..

SG1

Newly Enlightened
You say protecting lambs? If you can find a way, I'd try the Emisar D1S. Mtn electronics sells for about $40.
135,000 CD. Uses one 18650 battery, fairly compact.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not put a bit of effort into it & trap them & then release them somewhere where people are more tolerant of them?

Really??? If you have a salad (I'm guessing you don't eat meat) sitting right in front of you that can't get away from you, would you eat the salad on the other side of your house that is strangely sitting inside of a box? What I'm trying to say is, there is no good way to trap an animal when there is a free meal right in front of them.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Consult your local game comission for tips as perhaps they can reccomend a pro who can help you. Night vision stuff I mean. Because a flashlight will make them act like roaches when you turn the light once and take out cousin Franny....

My brother was able to rid his area of foxes using dog food in a frisbee in the daytime. And they really dig KFC leftovers. He would set out the food in the morning. Like clockwork they'd eat the food. My wife would photograph them with a zoom lens and my brother would.... well I'll leave it there, but there used to be 17 total including pups. None now.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I seem to remember many moons ago when a gentleman on here started to improve his flashlights in order to keep his livestock safe. His name escapes me at the moment but I hear tell he did pretty good for himself 😄

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about recommending a Malkoff earlier in this thread, but I don't think he produces anything capable of the extreme distance that the OP requires. The Hound Dog Super is a beast and will illuminate everything, both near and far, within about 275ish yards, but it takes 2x18650 and wouldn't do well on a rifle.

The Hound Dog 18650 is closer to the size requirement, but you sacrifice some range. It would fit a rifle, though.

Either one would endure recoil and other abuse forever.

Midnight.Sun

Newly Enlightened
300 - 400 yards shooting means you already have a scope mounted, and I see it's a day scope not a night vision one since you're asking about visible light. Among visible wavelengths Red light is invisible to animals, so it won't disrupt the foxes when pointed at them. You also need long throw to cover the range, Aspherical Lens flashlight is good option, Klarus FH10 (white, red, green) / about 45mm lens diameter is good, but its max throw on Red is only 225 meters, if longer throw than that is needed, you can check out Dereelight Xsearcher with Cree XP-E2 Red LED / aspheric lens diameter is about 66mm, it should do the trick. Another one is Wolf Eyes Seal with Red LED.

As far as Reflector construction flashlights, I'm not aware of any dedicated throwers with Red LED, maybe EagleTac has Red module for some of their big reflectors midels like M25C2 (not sure of the exact model name). Anyway, you can always use any reflector-based flashlight and put a Red filter on the front, like Acebeam T21 or Olight M3XS-UT (both models has Red filters accessory options), or any other similar rifle-mountable flashlights that has Red filters available (Fenix, Klarus ...etc), but that will be less efficient approach and consumes bettery power faster than using a flashlight with Red LED.

Last edited: