Looking for 14500 headlamps

That-guy

Newly Enlightened
Hi. First post on CPF so be kind.

Looking for a 14500-compatible headlamp for search and rescue use.

Reason for 14500 is that I am already carrying AA alkaline batteries for other gadgets, so being able to use them in the headlamp if needed is better than carrying double backups.

Anyway, no real strict spec requirements, I'm just having trouble finding many with these batteries.

Thanks.

parametrek

Enlightened
My database has 14 headlamps that use 14500 cells. Of those 2 of them stand out. The Thrunite TH20 goes for $30 and has a ramping interface. It has a good firefly mode for preserving night vision and comes in a neutral white option. The highest quality 14500 headlamp was made by Zebralight. Past tense because their previous generation (H52) supported 14500 cells but they've dropped that feature from the new H53 line. For now Zebralight still has the H52 and the H52F in stock on their website and on sale for $50 but only the cool white models. If you wanted neutral white or high CRI you will have to really dig or buy used.

parametrek

Enlightened
The Tiara A1 is kind of huge and heavy though. Probably the worst for taking in and out of the headband too. I've used one and didn't like it much. The light's head is the same size as an 18650 Wizard's. The tail/magnet is the same size too. If you need a tail magnet that really sticks to stuff it is alright but I'd only get one if it was massively on sale.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's also worth mentioning that the newest Zebralight AA lights achieve quite good output just using NiMH rechargeables. Not quite as high as the older 14500-compatible models, but close enough I don't think most users should consider it a drawback.

I have a Tiara A1 Pro. I can corroborate it runs well on both 14500 and on NiMH. It is heavy, and really hard to get in and out of the headband, but it is solidly built, and I find the magnetic tailcap frequently useful.