Hiking/Camping 80+ CRI

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a tricky one that is. At those power outputs and runtimes, most manufacturers will favour cool white emitters for brightness and efficiency. Since Vinh has successfully modified a Nitecore TM06 in the past, it is worth firing an email to him to see if Nichia emitters can be fitted to a TM06S. I'm pretty sure that would cover all your requests.

ven

Flashaholic
There is a sale at international outdoors, the m43 which is available in 219c 5000k flavour. Awesome little light, 4x18650 button top fed, can easily run 1500lm indefinite with around 6000lmax. Yours for an amazing $98........fantastic!

ven

Flashaholic
This little fellow
vrr1M2Vl.jpg

Quad triple
kYpd8h7l.jpg

parametrek

Enlightened
Meteor M43 with Nichia 219C LEDs. 6600 lumens max. Goes for $100 and is one of the most compact lights in its class. There is also the Manker MK34 in 219C. Very similar light but a little more expensive and 3x18650 instead of 4x18650.

ven

Flashaholic
There is the xpg2 4000k(very nice, and what Malkoff use for their n lights) version on int outdoor also.

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Ahh thank you. I don't think it's high CRi though =(

Do you think the XPL version is as nice?

ven

Flashaholic
I think its around 80 cri but not 100% sure. Its a nice tint anyway, kind of a little warmth in the beam. Malkoff uses the xp-g2 4000k in his neutrals and makes for an excellent colour temp/tint/beam! Dont be put off with a little less CRI, honestly you would be hard pushed to tell.

The xpl HI is nice yes, i like both the 4000 and 5000k flavours. Some of my 4000k have a slight rosy/warm edge to the beam(not literally) which is very easy on the eye.

My 1st choice would be 219c 5k, then possibly xpl HI 4k with a very close xp-g2 4k(tough call). Its all subjective...............

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
I think its around 80 cri but not 100% sure. Its a nice tint anyway, kind of a little warmth in the beam. Malkoff uses the xp-g2 4000k in his neutrals and makes for an excellent colour temp/tint/beam! Dont be put off with a little less CRI, honestly you would be hard pushed to tell.

The xpl HI is nice yes, i like both the 4000 and 5000k flavours. Some of my 4000k have a slight rosy/warm edge to the beam(not literally) which is very easy on the eye.

My 1st choice would be 219c 5k, then possibly xpl HI 4k with a very close xp-g2 4k(tough call). Its all subjective...............

Thanks, I'm going to get the 219c version and xpl 4k version and let you know how I like them!

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Thanks, I'm going to get the 219c version and xpl 4k version and let you know how I like them!

Are you by any chance referring to the MDC? Which size?
I have an urge to get both the Neutral and 219b V2 versions of the MDC 16650. I'm worried the Neutral with the XPL will have that nasty tint shift with a blueish hotspot and neutral beam or vice versa because of the XPL itself. Anyone with experience care to comment on the beam?

ven

Flashaholic

Nice!!! I am sure you will like both, I prefer 5k during day uses, 4K come evenings and into night time.

I would use on their own, if use together and compare it can make the tint(on either) look off(too blue, too orange type of issues ).

Congrats and enjoy!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you get above 1000 lumens, heat dissipation becomes a real problem for compact lights. Most claiming to last for more than an hour or two usually step down before then to cool the light. Also, with multiple batteries required for the level you want, many of the lights will have proprietary batteries to limit the risk of explosion from mismatched cells. You also want high CRI, which means it will draw more power and produce more heat for the brightness level you want. My Nitecore TM06 puts out 1500 lumens for 4 hours on the higher capacity batteries, but that's not high CRI. You might get 2 hours out of something high CRI that is similar, but few products are out there. If you're using this more for camping than hiking, I suggest looking at Milwaukee brand Flash Flood, Rover, and Radius lights. They are 80 CRI and range from 1300 lumens to 9,000 lumens. They do take a proprietary battery but it's a good one that lasts (the better ones are rated for 2,000 charges and go up to 9 amps at 18 volts). The $100 floodlight or Rover put out around 1500 lumens. Runtime will be determined on how good of a battery you get. The 3000 lumen Rover light makes a great floodlight for camp. If you want something more mobile for hiking, you might want to get something custom made.