Better headlights for 2011 F150?

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I was ordering a replacement tail light assy for my F150 because the old one was collecting water. Ordering from RockAuto and decided to look at replacement headlamp assemblies.

Found these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IB1Z05A/?tag=cpf0b6-20 with LED etc. and was interested. I'm using Amazon link for the same item as I know the link would work, but RockAuto is cheaper.

I've been a member here for several years and know all about not putting LED units or HID "kits" into factory housings, so don't flame me for asking if these might be a viable improvement over the factory units?

If there is a replacement that is an improvement available a link would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was ordering a replacement tail light assy for my F150 because the old one was collecting water. Ordering from RockAuto and decided to look at replacement headlamp assemblies.
Non-OEM taillamps can suffer from the same problems as aftermarket headlamps-- but for now I'll make the focus those aftermarket headlamps you've linked.

The brand you've linked to, Anzo, is right down there with Spyder, Recon, TYC, or most of DEPO (DEPO has a scant *few* worthwhile aftermarket replacement lamps).

I've been a member here for several years and know all about not putting LED units or HID "kits" into factory housings, so don't flame me for asking if these might be a viable improvement over the factory units?
Perhaps these are a step up from putting the entirely wrong light source into your factory lamps, but a step up from the bottom of the Grand Canyon still leaves you pretty much at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The only worthwhile replacement headlamp for your vehicle is a new OEM headlamp.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
But the new OEM housing uses the same incandescent bulb I have now, right. At that year 2011, led or hid were not available that I know of

There is nothing wrong or damaged with the original headlight housings, well, other than what Ford did.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the new OEM housing uses the same incandescent bulb I have now, right.
That is correct.

If there's no reason to replace them, don't replace them. If there's a reason to replace them, replace them with OEM, not aftermarket.

I've heard of someone installing the 2013 HID headlamps to an '11 F-150 Raptor. This might be an option for you but will require some amount of electrical work. Don't skimp on ballasts; get genuine Ford ballasts along with those genuine Ford headlamps. Your local dealership should be able to tell you if the assemblies will fit your particular truck's trim level.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I have found that replacing a halogen bulb with the very best available bulb of that type, then upgrading to heavy duty relayed wiring harness to get rid of voltage loss, can give a significant improvement. Certainly helped on a 1986 F250 that has H4 Hella lights.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I'd already done the bulbs, based on what either Virgil or one of the others recommended at the time. Not blue ones either. But as much as we know to not put "HID kits" nor led units in assemblies made for filament bulbs, I thought perhaps an aftermarket unit designed for led might be worth a try. But apparently that's not the case, yet anyway.