Surefire Aviator "Color" Help.

dale.gribble

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for a new light and I stumbled upon the New Surefire Aviator. It is a dual color light. It has the normal beam and you get a choice of one of 4 colors:

Amber High20 lumens / 2.75 hours*
Amber Low5 lumens / 29 hours*
Blue High4 lumens / 12 hours*
Blue Low0.4 lumens / 49 hours*
Red High39 lumens / 3 hours*
Red Low1 lumen / 57 hours*
Yellow-Green High39 lumens / 12 hours*
Yellow-Green Low3 lumens / 58 hours*

Which color you guys choose for normal EDC carry?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it depends on what you want to do:
Red is good for the eye night adaption
Amber is good for foggy or smoky environment
Blue is good if you are CSI fan of want to detect fluids lice dydraulic fluid, ...
Green-Yellow is good is you are pilot or you want to read maps. Often red is there a problem.

I'd personally vote for Red or Amber... (that were the first two Aviators I got)

...but the best way is having all 4: :D (Here my Germany refview with pictures if it is interesting)
DBXd89D.jpg

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my aviator in amber and love the color. I wish the low was just a little bit lower. This must be the most popular option as many places sell the amber for $269 whereas the other colors are sold at $230ish. Blue is probably the least popular as I see them in the low $200s.

I personally might have liked the yellow-green a little bit more, but I already have the old-school Surefire A2 with yellow-green and recently added another old-school Kroma Milspec that also have yellow-green. Yellow-green is actually a very pleasant color to use at night.

For me, Blue has a very specific use. If you don't know whether you need it or not, most likely you don't need it. From what I read, hunter use it to track blood or mechanics use to check hydraulic fluids. I'm neither, so it's just hearsay for me.

I generally like flashlights with red light option. I might have considered getting the Aviator in red if I didn't have so many flashlights/headlamps with red leds. They're generally very dim, but when your eyes are night-adapted, they're perfectly fine for you to navigate or read something without disturbing your neighbors.

My response above probably doesn't really help you as I am basically telling you to get Amber, Yellow-Green, and Red. A true flashaholic response. My personal vote would have been flipping a coin and pick either Amber or yellow-green.

WDR65

Enlightened
I have both the amber and the yellow green. I use the amber for navigating around the house at night using the low beam. The yellow green model I keep in my truck for camping or anything where I might potentially need long runtime.

If I could only have on I'd have yellow green, the extra runtime for the amount of output is really good in my opinion.