Need replacement recommendations

Tetreves

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!
So after over 15 years with my trusty Surefire P6, I ummmm.... "misplaced" it. :sigh: I had modified it with a Nailbender drop-in module and Mcclicky. I loved it dearly. Anywho...

I'm not overly excited by the current Surefire lineup. The G2X feels a little "meh". The 6PX Pro might be ok, but I'm curious if I should consider something else from brands I'm less familiar with, since I haven't needed to shop for a flashlight in a while. Obviously, I want a small to mid-sized flashlight, with a high and low beam, indestructible, high CRI, LED.

I want a light with a low (~10-15 lumen) output for reading a book, or general close work, and a high output mode (we'll say 400- 900 lumens) to illuminate objects further away - up to 100 yards or more for the work I do. I want one I can set down and it doesn't roll. I like the lockout tailcap to prevent it turning on in my bag. I like the switch on the tailcap. I would prefer a 1650 battery style. I prefer a soft holster (I had the OLD nylon Surefire holster with velcro security strap).

So do I get:
A. 6PX Pro
B. Find an old 6P and customize it back to what I had.
C. Consider something else? ThruNite or something? Open to ideas...

parametrek

Enlightened
I'm not sure why the 6PX is on the menu if you want high CRI?

Take a look at PFlexPro. He does his own fully configurable and fully potted drivers. Fairly indestructible too. His L2P build is probably the closest body design to the P6. It has the anti-roll hex and a variety of tail switch options.

Zak

Enlightened
Something like the Eagletac PX30LC2-R might work for you, as it's available with a Nichia 219C 90+ CRI emitter. There are, of course any of many P60 based solutions.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just get another 6P and the drop-in of your choice. There are still new old stock 6Ps available even though they have been discontinued by SF. Brands like Thrunite are not going to have the reliability of a 6P with a quality drop-in. I would actually buy at least two 6Ps, if I were in your position, while they are still available. You could put the second one away as a reserve so you don't get caught without again.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just get another 6P and the drop-in of your choice. There are still new old stock 6Ps available even though they have been discontinued by SF. Brands like Thrunite are not going to have the reliability of a 6P with a quality drop-in. I would actually buy at least two 6Ps, if I were in your position, while they are still available. You could put the second one away as a reserve so you don't get caught without again.

I think that's a great idea. Check Illumination Supply. They have some 6P's for a very reasonable price.

Tetreves

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all! Looks like I'm going to try a PFlexPro. These look great!

ven

Flashaholic
There is something about a 6p/c2/z2 with a p60 that just does it for me. Feels substantial in hand(confidence), then with today's options like PFlexPro and vinh/tana ect to have that modern programmable drop in with choice of LED. Is just a winner for me, pick your modes and/or levels of.................perfect!

Bugsy on here has 6p's which are bored for 18650.............

I think the E2e with tana triple is another great set up, little more compact and can be run on 16650 cells(2500mah). A classic with a modern twist!