All those "High CRI" threads over there in the LED forum..........

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Meanwhile, I'm outside here enjoying beautiful, full spectrum light from my Incandescents like my A2, E2E, 10X Dominator, M6, etc. :D

Things just look so natural and beautiful under Incandescent light, and almost seem to have a "depth" to them, something that, IMO, is still lacking even under the best High CRI LED's, everything just looks fake and flat to me with them.

They say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Well, incandesents should certainly feel flattered. Sorry "High CRI LED's", you've had a lot of years to catch up, and I'm afraid you still aren't there yet.

My biggest question is, will you ever be?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever tried to discern a navy sock from a black sock under incandescent lighting? CRI is just a a number-- and a small look at the overall picture of lighting quality. 2700 kelvin bulbs and 3200 kelvin bulbs are pleasantly warm, but they're not the ultimate when it comes to light quality.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Have you ever tried to discern a navy sock from a black sock under incandescent lighting? CRI is just a a number-- and a small look at the overall picture of lighting quality. 2700 kelvin bulbs and 3200 kelvin bulbs are pleasantly warm, but they're not the ultimate when it comes to light quality.

I can tell you the ultimate in quality of light does NOT come from an LED, of any type.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
This type of discussion isn't worthwhile unless you contribute thoughtful posts.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
This type of discussion isn't worthwhile unless you contribute thoughtful posts.

I was just poking fun at the LED's trying to imitate incandescent light. It is interesting that you say my post isn't worthwhile, mean while taking time to post in it and give your opinion. :shakehead

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Violet LEDs with red, green, and blue phosphors over them have very high color rendering, including deep red and cyan output. What's even more important though is that they can be had in neutral white color temperatures, making for balanced lighting in color-critical environments.

Incandescents are stuck being extremely warm, making for unbalanced lighting. The very low blue output is great for nighttime and helps us fall asleep better, but you don't see color critical workplaces running incandescents. Hell, most don't even run violet LEDs, because a standard 85-90 CRI 4000k fluorescent tube is more than enough.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Violet LEDs with red, green, and blue phosphors over them have very high color rendering, including deep red and cyan output. What's even more important though is that they can be had in neutral white color temperatures, making for balanced lighting in color-critical environments.

Incandescents are stuck being extremely warm, making for unbalanced lighting. The very low blue output is great for nighttime and helps us fall asleep better, but you don't see color critical workplaces running incandescents. Hell, most don't even run violet LEDs, because a standard 85-90 CRI 4000k fluorescent tube is more than enough.

My question is can any LED light source achieve "FULL" spectrum lighting?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Can you name an LED that can operate in the full spectrum of light that incandescents produce?

I don't see where I said, or even implied, any such thing.

I simply asked you what you were using as your point(s) of reference for comparison.

Virtually everyone has vast experience with a wide variety of incandescent lamps.

But *not* everyone, even here on CPF, has personal experience with the very best LED emitters currently available.

This is an area of technology with rapid and ongoing improvements.

You were the one wanting to discuss and compare CRI between incandescent and LED sources of illumination.

I think it is a fair question. Have you personally used any of the new violet-pumped emitters ?

And, if so, perhaps you would care to share your thoughts on those ... objective, subjective, or otherwise.

No need to get upset or defensive.

If not, no big deal. But may be worth a look, just to keep an open mind, all the same :shrug:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I don't see where I said, or even implied, any such thing.

I simply asked you what you were using as your point(s) of reference for comparison.

Virtually everyone has vast experience with a wide variety of incandescent lamps.

But *not* everyone, even here on CPF, has personal experience with the very best LED emitters currently available.

This is an area of technology with rapid and ongoing improvements.

You were the one wanting to discuss and compare CRI between incandescent and LED sources of illumination.

I think it is a fair question. Have you personally used any of the new violet-pumped emitters ?

And, if so, perhaps you would care to share your thoughts on those ... objective, subjective, or otherwise.

No need to get upset or defensive.

If not, no big deal. But may be worth a look, just to keep an open mind, all the same :shrug:

Not upset or defensive at all :)

I am sincerely asking, can any LED achieve the full spectrum of light that an incandescent can produce?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is can any LED light source achieve "FULL" spectrum lighting?

Damn near close, and balanced spectral output to boot (courtesy of Maukka's testisng of the Nichia Optisolis LED):

vBZ7goi.png

The most important thing here though is BALANCED spectral output. If color accuracy is to be considered, then you have to consider the overall spectral output of a light. Something which an incandescent is horrible at. The ONLY thing that produces a balanced spectral output while being truly full spectrum is mid-day sunlight.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Very interesting discussion here. I didn't expect me poking a little fun at LED's trying to imitate incandescent lighting would turn into such a technical discussion.

For reference, the best High CRI LED I've seen in person is the Nichia 219B in a Malkoff, which I had a brief period to compare to a few of my better incandescents, and in my personal opinion, it fell far short in the quality of light.

I will admit I wasn't aware of some of the advances LED's have made in the light spectrum/CRI area in recent years, but most importantly here is, none of the fancy new fangled LED's are currently in flashlights, at least not that I'm aware of.

So, it's clear that, despite getting "darn close" they still aren't there quite yet. Until then, I'll keep using Incandescents.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hmmm, a technical discussion on lighting you say ? ... :grin2:

Although I do not have vast personal experience with ultra-high CRI emitters, of the more common high CRI LED options, there are several that I generally prefer over the N219B.

You don't mention the bin of the Nichia you tried, but the CCT and tint can have a large perceptual effect as well, and you might find a warmer emitter more appealing.

It may surprise you that I am a great fan of incandescents, but have still found a few LED that impress me greatly.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a decade on LED's (sst90, xhp70.2, XPG, XML, Nichia219C 90+ etc) just recently out of boredom i deceided to "upgrade" my old 2DMag with Jimmy's PhD driver and FM 6.35 socket with 1164 bulb and BOOOOM. I saw colors as they truely are. I forgot that incans are so far the only true color source of light. I don't use any fancy calculation or meassurement but poorman method, can i see it and what i see across the field. And here i'm now, ordered bunch of incan stuff and mod kits AGAIN cause LED's no matter how cheap or expenssive they are just can't do the job properly. DayofReckoning i agree with you 100%. Btw i still have 10+ led flashlights but now they are picking up dust.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
All those "High CRI" threads over there in the LED forum..........

A well-driven incandescent is a wonderful thing, such as my 2D ROP. However, for a balance of size, runtime, durability, brightness and cost, Hi-CRI LEDs do it for me.

Well, give it a look on Fivemega 2x18350 FM1794 1000lumen flashlight. You'll change your mind my brother