Can you replace the LED in an older Inova T4 with a newer one?

boe_d

Newly Enlightened
I have a few older T4 rechargeable flashlights. It works well but has a 200 lumen bulb. I see the newer models are significantly brighter. I'm wondering if anything besides the led has really changed. I'd like to try putting a newer LED in it but don't know if it is possible or where I could get one. If anyone has done this or knows the part number I'd be happy to try.

pc_light

Enlightened
I have a few older T4 rechargeable flashlights. It works well but has a 200 lumen bulb. I see the newer models are significantly brighter. I'm wondering if anything besides the led has really changed. I'd like to try putting a newer LED in it but don't know if it is possible or where I could get one. If anyone has done this or knows the part number I'd be happy to try.
hello boe_d and welcome to CPF.

Inova made/makes some wonderful lights that are tough as nails. One of the prices to pay for that ruggedness is that the light is pretty well sealed up tight. The "bulb" or LED emitter is not made to be user serviceable but hobbists do occassional "mod" these lights or perform "emitter swaps". The Inova lights are notoriously complicated to open and generally I'd recommend treating yourself to a new light if the previously one has served you well.

If on the other hand you'd like to dive into taking one of these apart to see what it's all about (or there's some sentimental reason you want to keep these particular lights), you can search on "Inova" & "Freeze open" and you should be able to get some history on the matter.

Then do some searches on "LED reflow" to read up on how to perform a change of the LED emitter.

That doesn't quick get you there yet. There's still a matter of mating the emitter type and MCPCB (Metal Core Printed Circuit Board for mounting the LED) to the reflector for focus.

Lastly there are some capable members that offer their services for hire that might be able to help with a mod/swap but the Inova's are a challenge.

Good luck.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
They have a good warranty. I had a charger go out. They insisted I send the light in, and keep the charger. They then sent me a newer, brighter version of the light, but no charger. I then asked them to fix the charger, which is what was broken to begin with, and they sent me a new charger.

So a broken charger got me a new light AND a new charger. Haha.

boe_d

Newly Enlightened
They have a good warranty. I had a charger go out. They insisted I send the light in, and keep the charger. They then sent me a newer, brighter version of the light, but no charger. I then asked them to fix the charger, which is what was broken to begin with, and they sent me a new charger.

So a broken charger got me a new light AND a new charger. Haha.

That is awesome service.

As for the changing out he bulb it seems I'll live with my old on. Thanks for the detailed response on what is involved.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about modding the T4 to be able to take MODERN 18650's above the woeful low capacity Inova cell I have been stuck with since I got the light? The T4 is YES built like a TANK. It is a shame that Inova has gone out of their way to stick T4 owners with their low capacity proprietary cell for it though. I would LOVE to be able to take apart my T4 and build it up. The T4 would make an AMAZING host.