• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Help ID: McGizmo PD Mule

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please help ID the LED, tint and voltage range of this beauty. Thank you.

CTTO:
McG-PD-Mule-2.jpg

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking out loud... wouldn't the XRE be a bit dated for today's lighting needs? Though I have preferred Malkoff LL (50-70lms) over the stronger output LEDs, would I be just fine w/ the XRE on a Mule setup?

;)

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I had a PD Mule, granted that this was when they were new and the XRE had a "respectable" amount of output ("respectable" is relative since output has far exceeded what was normal then!). I found the output was quite good for the intention of the Mule, close range flood. Granted also, that the light that I was using that the Mule was upgrading was the ION by Photons INTL (Moyshondt's original light that provided a nice and even, floody beam although it did it some how with a reflector) and that light utilized the CREE X-Lamp and had a high/low of 5/35 lumens (IIRC) so the Mule was an upgrade in output. But for close range, the Mule output was sufficient for my use. The bigger poke might be the tint of the XRE, leaning a bit greenish, but if you are not white wall hunting or a tint snob (which is easy to become with the excellent high CRI LEDs out there!) then the XRE should suffice.
Then again, I may be a bit biased since I don't like to fool with Don's original work even though that work work was limited to the technology of the time!
Although I (regrettably) no longer have the PD Mule, I still have a number of ION's that still get some use.
I say, try it out for a bit, put some miles on it, then make a decision!

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
@luxlunatic - thank you for your thoughts... while I'm not a tint snob, but I might be spoiled by the Nichia's all around lately. Hoping this could compliment the other more powerful lights with its floody 'medium' output beam. I wish to try on it, and see if it fits to my liking. To begin with, the size is already a winner. :candle:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Seeing this thread bubble back up to the top, reminds me that it took me nearly two months of searching to finally find one for my own collection ....

cNJQX4N.jpg

And I would like to again thank the kind seller ;)

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing this thread bubble back up to the top, reminds me that it took me nearly two months of searching to finally find one for my own collection ....

cNJQX4N.jpg

And I would like to again thank the kind seller ;)
Wow that blue o-ring accents nicely. Is it user replaceable? Where can we get one?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Wow that blue o-ring accents nicely. Is it user replaceable? Where can we get one?

Thank you.

Blue O-rings are not stock, but was already set up like this when I received it from the seller.

I think they are fluorosilicone, and should be readily available in a variety of common sizes, from the usual vendors ....

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Thanks for the info mod. ^^

I believe this is one the McGizmo all-time classics out there! :candle:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any hack or DIY trick to make the PD easier to activate on high (full press)? I find the resistance is quite strong and puts pressure on the thumb. :D

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes

Flashaholic
No, if anything, mine is maybe a little lighter than I'd ideally prefer.

Mine was purchased already "modded" however, so I am not sure if the spring(s) were adjusted, or stock ?