Best UV flashlight

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is the NC CU6 still about the best around - for UV that is. I am not fussed about the rest of the modes that might come with any UV light.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there, 7histology! What's best depends a lot on the task at hand.
What do you intend to use the UV output for?
A lot of the time, the purpose drives the spectrum selection and hence the light/flashlight.
Eg. 365nm curing lamp or flashlight for Norland 61 curing, a dermatologist's Wood's lamp (also ~365nm) to diagnose skin ailments, forensic UV to pick up latent fingerprints, UV illumination for UV photography.

:caution:As always, do use proper eye protection when using UV emitters.

Thanks - and yes 365nm which seems to work best for 'living things' or bits of/from them is what I am most interested in.

Hey there, 7histology! What's best depends a lot on the task at hand.
What do you intend to use the UV output for?
A lot of the time, the purpose drives the spectrum selection and hence the light/flashlight.
Eg. 365nm curing lamp or flashlight for Norland 61 curing, a dermatologist's Wood's lamp (also ~365nm) to diagnose skin ailments, forensic UV to pick up latent fingerprints, UV illumination for UV photography.

:caution:As always, do use proper eye protection when using UV emitters.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Forget that nitecore unless you want all those bells and whistles. I recommend this convoy uv light, way cheaper than the nc and more powerful uv. https://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlig...dhJduYMudYUj5JjGU8szGHbgFQmeUK2BoCXOcQAvD_BwE

n9bzR8C.jpg

Taken from 6ft
Nitecore cu6
ygTTzrG.jpg

Convoy S2+ 365nm Nichia
ON7RVPi.jpg

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Jaxman also makes a UV light that is about as powerful as the Convoy. However it has 2 advantages. It comes with a bandpass filter that cuts the purple leakage so you can see more subtle fluorescing and (if you are willing to pay a hefty surcharge) is available with amazon prime shipping instead of China Post.

As a fan of P60 modularity my favorite is Kaidomain's $9 365nm drop-in paired with their $8 UV lens.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
UV lights should have momentary switches and PWR. That would reduce the visual effect of stray visible light, and the flourescence will last longer than the time between the PWR pulses.

Got the Convoy & a filter is on order to reduce the visible light.

Looking for an inexpensive "UV400" rated clear safety glasses, from a reputable source (not no-name Asian).

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
I have several convoys, don't waste your money. I have found the Eagtac P200lc2. They have one with a UV emitter. It has some visible light but less than any others that I have found. It is a 3W led and uses 18650 batteries.

KBobAries

Enlightened
I have several convoys, don't waste your money. I have found the Eagtac P200lc2. They have one with a UV emitter. It has some visible light but less than any others that I have found. It is a 3W led and uses 18650 batteries.

What do you dislike about the Convoy lights? I have an S2+ UV that I use for scorpion hunting and it works quite well. I've not actually measured but a fairly accurate guesstimate is that it lights them up from at least 5 yards away.

heckeng

Newly Enlightened
The two that I had had tons of visible light which diluted the UV out. They are affordable, I liked that but the light just didn't impress me.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, Convoy sells a filter for the S2+ that blocks visible light but lets the UV though. That really helps.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we have a new contestant entering the fold. Nitecore just announced four 'Gem' lights designed to be used to check the internal structure of gem stones, especially jade. Two of them are UV lights at 365nm and 3000mW. The GemUV8 has a small aperture with the LED fastened directly to the bottom of the lens, while the GemUV10 has a larger beam so it can illuminate a larger area. All of the Gem lights can use either an 18650/RCR123 or a primary CR123A.

Right now the Nitecore Store is listing them at $59.95.

Last edited:

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap "Tank007 UV02" and an expensive Acebeam X80.
I don't know much about UV leds, but the Nichia 233a 365nm LED in the Acebeam is pretty nice. The Tank isn't bad for the money.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this 365nm module off Ebay, the P60 drop in module and it works surprisingly well. It had some crazy voltage range like up to 18V i think.

It's not a malkoff course, I have no idea how well Malkoff UV light works. Probably better.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like we have a new contestant entering the fold. Nitecore just announced four 'Gem' lights designed to be used to check the internal structure of gem stones, especially jade. Two of them are UV lights at 365nm and 3000mW. The GemUV8 has a small aperture with the LED fastened directly to the bottom of the lens, while the GemUV10 has a larger beam so it can illuminate a larger area. All of the Gem lights can use either an 18650/RCR123 or a primary CR123A.

Right now the Nitecore Store is listing them at $59.95.

I don't think so. They will break in the field, it's a design strictly for the shop or the office. They are what it says they are - gem lights. Nowhere near durable enough to be deployed in the field or even as EDC.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Though I have limited experience with UV light I would just add that Nailbender makes a P60 drop in. I have been pretty happy with my regular (non UV) drop in from him.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I am very happy with my Nailbender Nichia 365nm UV module, works well. The Nichia UV LEDs seem to be quite limited in supply, so they are not always available.