• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Clips for a Haiku

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical Elements is selling the SF clips from what I can see. SF clips will indeed fit a Haiku. The buy-in is quite high on SF clips and secondary prices are even higher. If you're looking for less expensive options, I recommend checking out Oveready or GD Skulls on Etsy. Hope this helps! [emoji106]

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tactical Elements is selling the SF clips from what I can see. SF clips will indeed fit a Haiku. The buy-in is quite high on SF clips and secondary prices are even higher. If you're looking for less expensive options, I recommend checking out Oveready or GD Skulls on Etsy. Hope this helps! [emoji106]
Vouching for GD Skulls, got one recently. Will add another one or two soon. Good quality clips w/o much $$ drain.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
My problem is the clients I work for kind would not like to see skulls, nor do I. I don't want anything with a skull on it! I would have it leave behind. If you like skulls, so be it, however, past the age of 12 years old, they make no sense.

The stock Mc Gizmo clip is all you could ever ask for. And I have no idea what FF FB is? Is it Facebook? If so, I don't engage in any social media. For security reasons.

Oveready does have some great clips, I will admit that. Oveready is a fantastic company, its has great owners! Great people!

Again in the Mc Gizmo clip is all you could want, and it comes out if the box with one. No need to change.

Look, if you like skulls, that is fine I don't like them, and I work for large conservative corporations, and don't feel like explaining to anyone why I would have a skull clipped to something in my pocket, and possibly lose projects scheduled years in advance as a result ...and I like my light clipped to my pocket. All it would take to have all that go down the drain is a dumb skull, and an executive VP say something. Usually I work directly to, and with the CEO.

In reality, I do not believe Mc Gizmos are not the lights that you do that to.

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My problem is the clients I work for kind don't like skulls, nor do I. I done want anything with a skull on it!

The stock Mc Gizmo clip is all you could ever ask for. And I have no idea what FF FB is? It it is Facebook, if so, I don't engage in any social media. Oveready does have some great clips, I will admit that. OVeready is a fantastic company, its great owners!

Some of them (me included) like to put some "death" theme to the lights... :devil:

Oveready's clip has one of the best retention I've used, well secured for almost all types of carry.

Good for you you are not on FB. LOL.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
While I love Oveready clips and have many, please enlighten all of us what is wrong with the stock Mc Gizmo clip. Maybe I'm lost on this clip thing? And I don't need or want or some "Death" added to my beautiful lights Don produces.

Maybe you could explain what a world class flashlight, and the notion of death has to do with one another?

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I love Oveready clips and have many, please enlighten all of us what is wrong with the stock Mc Gizmo clip. Maybe I'm lost on this clip thing? And I don't need or want or some "Death" added to my beautiful lights Don produces.

Maybe you could explain what a world class flashlight, and the notion of death has to do with one another?

Sir there's nothing wrong with the default McG clip, it is as good as it gets. AFAIK, the Steel Flame clip was made to fit into the McGizmo lights initially, and this is why the clips were made in the first place.

These skull clips are add-ons, some like them, others don't. There has been a strong following and trend on these custom clips... they tinker on it, mix n' match to flashlights, knives and other EDC items. In a way, it is putting more customization and personalization. They look beautiful to some, but to others they aren't. To each his own I guess. Our mileage may vary. :D

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
My problem is the clients I work for kind would not like to see skulls, nor do I. I don't want anything with a skull on it!

Oveready does have some great clips, I will admit that. Oveready is a fantastic company, its has great owners! Great people!

Again in the Mc Gizmo clip is all you could want, and it comes out if the box with one. No need to change.
As Dave said, ther is nothing wrong with the McG clips. It´s just a matter of personal taste, nothing more, nothing less. Steel Flame are great people too, very much so with a great sense for community and people in need. And they offer more than clips with skulls (Lions, Dragons, Paws....).

Eric

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will agree that the McG clip is about as good as it gets. Very well thought out design and executed in the perfect material! So good in fact, that it has been copied by many others with only slight differences to the aesthetic design but retaining the same dimensions, bends and pinch point (like the MAC clips in photo below).
In my opinion, the only improvement would be to finish the edge better so that it is smooth, a small detail but one that can save your pants pocket! What I mean is, the unfinished and jagged edge of the clip will slowly "saw" away on a pocket from repeated clipping and un-clipping. I noticed this after I first stated using a Gizmo (original Aluminum PD from waaaay back when!) that my pockets were getting frayed at the bottom corner where I clipped it. It was then that I started smoothing out the edge.
Now, the pic below is a before and after smoothing and these are MAC Tri-EDC's and the Mac clips were a bit more jagged than the McG clip but it does illustrate the sawing action that will come from pocket use:
QdgycPS.jpg

After some filing, sanding and buffing, the clips were no longer eating my pants and added a small detail to the overall "finished" look of the tool.

Now, I really dig the look, design and craftsmanship that go into the Steel Flame clips, but not so much into the badges that are put on them, I prefer a clean, minimalist look. They also have a bit more material in the pinch point area, a bit wider and once again, I prefer a minimalist approach to get the job done. The badge, extra material, and wider area with lateral points, can get hung up or more likely to bang/scrape into something in tight quarters. Now this is a small detail but one that needs to be considered based on your use.

These are just a few things to consider and YMMV!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I have no idea what FF FB is? Is it Facebook?

Correct, it is the Flashlight Fanatics Facebook group. I'm a member, and it's safe to say that there's far more "all show, no go" lights there than CPF, including clips that cost more than a Haiku.

I'm not a fan of flashlight 'bling', such as clips, but heck, if it's your light, decorate it how you please.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
No need to apologise for wanting to customise your torch.

I am happy with the stock McG clip but pay the small extra for the tripod hole and the etching - adds a lovely pattern to it and a tiny McG initialling at the tip. Both 'mods' add a total of $20 from memory

HRace

Newly Enlightened
I'd like some info on how you guys all use Don's clips so effectively. I'm using an AA tube if that matters. It's SO STIFF!!! Let me explain. I'm comparing to darksucks clips which are much more flexible (and I've never had one of those fall out of my pocket). I'm trying to clip them to thinner material pants, cargo pocket on my leg. I definitely can not put the light in the pocket with one hand. It'll just push the pocket edge down to the point I think it's going to rip the pants pocket. Are you guys either using pretty rigid jeans pockets or can I flex the clip just a bit to make it just a bit looser? Of course I don't want a gap between clip and body just a bit less rigid would be fantastic. I know, I'm clearly in the minority as I read through every thread here. Thanks! I'd like to carry the light more it's just a pain to attach to a pocket. Must be something I'm missing. I'd like a new clip or to flex this one a bit to reduce its initial pressure against the tube.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like some info on how you guys all use Don's clips so effectively. I'm using an AA tube if that matters. It's SO STIFF!!! Let me explain. I'm comparing to darksucks clips which are much more flexible (and I've never had one of those fall out of my pocket). I'm trying to clip them to thinner material pants, cargo pocket on my leg. I definitely can not put the light in the pocket with one hand. It'll just push the pocket edge down to the point I think it's going to rip the pants pocket. Are you guys either using pretty rigid jeans pockets or can I flex the clip just a bit to make it just a bit looser? Of course I don't want a gap between clip and body just a bit less rigid would be fantastic. I know, I'm clearly in the minority as I read through every thread here. Thanks! I'd like to carry the light more it's just a pain to attach to a pocket. Must be something I'm missing. I'd like a new clip or to flex this one a bit to reduce its initial pressure against the tube.

You can actually put some bending (with care) and see if it has lessen its stiffness. Also, if you prefer a more flexible one, try checking on McBrat Alien clips which are available for sale on this forum. They are so easy on the jeans. Cheers!

nbp

Flashaholic
Shove a bunch of shims like plastic club cards/business cards/old I.D. cards between the clip and body one by one to spread it. At some point it kinda gives and breaks the tension a bit.

HRace

Newly Enlightened
Man you guys are fast. Thanks. I should have asked a long time ago!
nbp: I appreciate this method suggestion (stack cards underneath). It seems more controlled than bending by hand so I'll start here. The cost is right!
xdayv: my searching never turned this solution up (Mcbrat alien). I'll check these out if needed! They sound nice.
I need to go dig up the screw driver recommended to remove the screws from the clip. I remember some stories about them being a bit difficult!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man you guys are fast. Thanks. I should have asked a long time ago!
nbp: I appreciate this method suggestion (stack cards underneath). It seems more controlled than bending by hand so I'll start here. The cost is right!
xdayv: my searching never turned this solution up (Mcbrat alien). I'll check these out if needed! They sound nice.
I need to go dig up the screw driver recommended to remove the screws from the clip. I remember some stories about them being a bit difficult!

The other method... with disclaimer :) is to install the clip up-side-down on the flashlight... then slowly bend inwards or outwards. Handle with utmost care. I used this method to tighten the tension, but haven't tried the opposite.

Here's a link to Mcbrat Alien clip:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?435583-FS-Titanium-clips-from-BratGuy-Enterpises

HRace

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the link. Are your Mcbrat clips the latest "V2"? I'll check in with him to see what the original thickness was vs. the V2 variations he's got out now.

Latest posts