Has Armytek fixed the QC issues?

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a little more powerful headlamp to use for camping/hiking/general outdoor work, and I like the look of this Armytek. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HGZ7SR/?tag=cpf0b6-20

However in reading on the web it seems Armytek was having a LOT of reported quality issues in 2016/2017, but I haven't seen much posted lately. Has AT cleaned things up, or is it still a gamble?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've read plenty of QC issues on other flashlight forum too, not us one. there were few happy customers there too, but after reading all pro and cons, i personally do not want to take a chance with AT. there are many other lights of that class out there.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Armytek headlamp in the link is an XP-L Wizard. I have a few if them with no issues. Iv'e read they can not take heat well and can be damaged from overheating in high. I do not run my XPL very long in high. Maybe that's why I have had no problems.
The XHP50 Wizards had a few cracked lense failures. That happened to me.
You probably won't have quality control issues but if you do you will certainly have warranty issues dealing with Armytek directly. Buy from an authorized dealer who will take on any warranty handling problems if they arise.

Nichia!

Banned
The Armytek headlamp in the link is an XP-L Wizard. I have a few if them with no issues. Iv'e read they can not take heat well and can be damaged from overheating in high. I do not run my XPL very long in high. Maybe that's why I have had no problems.
The XHP50 Wizards had a few cracked lense failures. That happened to me.
You probably won't have quality control issues but if you do you will certainly have warranty issues dealing with Armytek directly. Buy from an authorized dealer who will take on any warranty handling problems if they arise.

So they don't step down when overheating automatically?

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Do you mean they don't have active thermal protection? We need do it manually by hand!!!?????

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
they do on paper, in reality, people say they ran on high for 20 min none stop, and saw no stepdowns.
i personally do not like xpl, it has heatpad of xp, and power of xm, it may be a bit more efficient, but you can't go around physics. also even if thermal control is there, and calibrated properly, it may not do much if a led was soldered to the star poorly, and has voids between the mcpcb and led heatpad.

SKV89

Enlightened
they do on paper, in reality, people say they ran on high for 20 min none stop, and saw no stepdowns.
i personally do not like xpl, it has heatpad of xp, and power of xm, it may be a bit more efficient, but you can't go around physics. also even if thermal control is there, and calibrated properly, it may not do much if a led was soldered to the star poorly, and has voids between the mcpcb and led heatpad.

I havr the Wizard Pro V3 with the XPL and it definitely steps down. It is a very good headlamp and the build quality is amazing. The WW tint is true 5D so you dont get any yellowish tint. However, XPL only good for 1200 lumens so I started using the Acebeam H15 and Olight H2R more because of the higher lumen output. The Wizard has the best tint though.