How is Meguiar's Keep Clear Headlight Coating? A spray-on UV coating

haha1234

Newly Enlightened
I recently came across this UV coating spray to be used on headlights after a restoration job is complete (it can also be applied to brand new headlights)

Does anyone here have any experience with the Meguiar UV protectant spray?

Or is Sylvania's UV block still the gold standard? (I wish Sylvania would offer a bigger bottle than 1 oz!)

Would you use either product on a brand new OEM headlight assembly? I know they treat their lenses with a special coating applied in a clean room, but of course they still don't last forever. So would something like Sylvania or Meguiar (or any other brand) UV block help at all in addition to the brand new clean room-applied factory coatings?

markr6

Flashaholic
I bought some of this but haven't had the nerve to try it on a like-new headlamp yet. I restored one lamp on a 2005 and it wasn't much fun. Decent results, but I would rather prevent than fix later on if possible on my 2015.

The last thing I want to do is make things worse by trying to be proactive. I sprayed some on a sheet of plastic and it was very runny, so I don't know. Good reviews on Amazon though.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Rustoleum 2x clear that is resistant to UV and does not yellow. Ut also bonds to plastic.

I went and sanded all the old coat off, and then sanded with multiple grit sand paper and left some texture for the coat coat to have something to bite to.

It have been over a year and it still looks good.

markr6

Flashaholic
I used Rustoleum 2x clear that is resistant to UV and does not yellow. Ut also bonds to plastic.

I went and sanded all the old coat off, and then sanded with multiple grit sand paper and left some texture for the coat coat to have something to bite to.

It have been over a year and it still looks good.

I did the same on the 2005 I mentioned above. Good after 1+ year. But we're talking about something on a new, or almost new, headlamp. You certainly wouldn't want to coat a new assembly with the Rustoleum. But after a restoration it's great.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sprayed some on a sheet of plastic and it was very runny, so I don't know. Good reviews on Amazon though.
It may just require working on your technique. I was doing pretty well with some Dupli-Color MetalCast Yellow on a porch light and got too impatient and it started running. Might be a similar thing with this.

markr6

Flashaholic
It may just require working on your technique. I was doing pretty well with some Dupli-Color MetalCast Yellow on a porch light and got too impatient and it started running. Might be a similar thing with this.

Yeah it's more of a watery consistency. The Rustoleum mentioned is thicker/tacky like spray paint, but I still had some running with that...for the same reason, getting impatient. Lots of fine coats with that really did a nice job though.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah it's more of a watery consistency. The Rustoleum mentioned is thicker/tacky like spray paint, but I still had some running with that...for the same reason, getting impatient. Lots of fine coats with that really did a nice job though.
What mark said. Lots of fine coats and if you have some orange peel you can let it cure for a few days, wet sand with 3000, and then use a D/A to polish and you're good!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/znSBr1fHPXR9aqZC7