Choosing Someone to Aim Headlights

Travler

Newly Enlightened
I am planning on upgrading my old 79 Bronco to Speaker 8910 headlights, but need to find someone to correctly aim them.

Currently my state does not inspect headlight aim. North Carolina does check headlight aim during their vehicle inspection program.

How do I choose someone to do it properly and not just someone that aims them on a wall? What do I look for? I remember as a kid seeing the old aiming equipment that was mounted on the wheel alignment rack in the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Re: Choosing Some to Aim Headlights

Virgil or Alaric could make more specific recommendations, but optical aiming machines are best. Not all dealerships have them. I have used the "wall" method for years, because I'm up in the hills but do have a perfectly level floor and surface one which I can accurately measure height available to me.

Travler

Newly Enlightened
From my basic knowledge of it, is that the inspections are not done by state operated inspection stations but state licensed facilities.

I have 3 counties that I consider close to me to locate an inspection station. Mecklenburg, Union, or Anson counties. I also found a list of approved headlight aiming equipment that the shop must have to be licensed inspection station.
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/registration/locations/
https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/...d Headlight Aimers and Window Tint Meters.pdf

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my basic knowledge of it, is that the inspections are not done by state operated inspection stations but state licensed facilities.
Let's add 1.4 & 2.6.
The same places that do safety inspections, according to this list, very much appear to be automotive or motorcycle repair shops. So, might could they charge a nominal fee to aim your lamps for you? In Union County you have Bens V-Twins. In Mecklenburg County, you have City Chevrolet. Both are listed as doing safety inspections, and therefore have the required equipment.

Latest posts