Surefire G2 Question

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up another new G2 from our favorite auction site. It was only $21 with free shipping, so I have some concern as to if it is completely Surefire, or if it has a third party tail cap? Does the G2 tailcap have printing around the button, or is it plain? The interior switch and spring appear to be identical to the ones inside my 6P. It works fine, so I am just wondering to settle my own mind.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I only have one G2 and that has a plain tail cap. My G2z has the surefire printing on the tail cap.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done a little parts swapping here and there with the G-series, but I'm pretty sure all three of my yellow G2 tailcaps are authentic, and they are plain. I have a tan G2, and that tailcap is plain.

My G2Z tailcap has printing, and both of my black G3 lights have printing on the tailcap. Printing on the G3 tailcaps, but not on the G2. Go figure.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your G2 LED or incandescent? $21 seems much like what they ask for the LED clone.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been assuming that any G2 that's advertised as having a CREE LED is a fake. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the G2 with and LED was called a G2L.

Also, they all claim to be new, but are never in packaging...just bubble wrap. Not a good sign.

--flatline

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I see them on Ebay. Everything about the seller/ad screams fake, but the body of the light itself certainly looks legit. How close do these clones get?

If you look closely at the photo showing the reflector/led, the bezel ring doesn't look right, does it?

I would pass.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see them on Ebay. Everything about the seller/ad screams fake, but the body of the light itself certainly looks legit. How close do these clones get?

If you look closely at the photo showing the reflector/led, the bezel ring doesn't look right, does it?

I would pass.

It would be interesting if someone did a review of the fakes. Ignoring the obvious dishonesty involved, are they decent hosts? How does the switch compare to the real thing? As good? Better? Worse?

--flatline

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
It would be interesting if someone did a review of the fakes. Ignoring the obvious dishonesty involved, are they decent hosts? How does the switch compare to the real thing? As good? Better? Worse?

--flatline

Well I certainly wouldn't expect them to be better, that's for sure.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

--flatline

A real SF G2 is so inexpensive. Why even bother reviewing a fake? Even with the ethical issues set aside.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly what I was thinking. I've been assuming that any G2 that's advertised as having a CREE LED is a fake. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that the G2 with and LED was called a G2L.

Also, they all claim to be new, but are never in packaging...just bubble wrap. Not a good sign.

--flatline
Yes, it came with the CREE LED. I haven't been able to dig out my other, known good G2 yet, but this one looks and acts just like it. Unless the 'Nitrolon' starts peeling off, I am going to consider it 'good enough'. By the way, how does one fake Nitrolon?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it came with the CREE LED. I haven't been able to dig out my other, known good G2 yet, but this one looks and acts just like it. Unless the 'Nitrolon' starts peeling off, I am going to consider it 'good enough'. By the way, how does one fake Nitrolon?

It might be real Nitrolon (or something very similar). The lights are "fake" because they're pretending that they're Surefire flashlights when they're not.

--flatline

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although difficult to read, it appears that the brand and location of manufacture is molded into the tailcap of mine (G3)

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Cheap plastic with a good spray-paint job. Most people who buy a fake SF G2 don't have the real thing to compare it to.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why Ebay doesn't shut down the fakes. Does Surefire not have an employee to monitor auctions and report suspicious auctions to protect the brand?

--flatline

ven

Flashaholic

If it has been bought new for $21 and has a CREE LED (probably not even Cree)then I am very sure a fake. If it's come
from China then 100% fake. I have seen them on eBay and actually reported them in the past. Kind of worrying how many have been sold and how many are thinking they are getting a real SF light. Presume you have read feedback(presuming eBay).