Looking for a small keychain flashlight

ank

Newly Enlightened
So I have the Lumintop Tool that someone recommended here some time ago. It's ok, I like it, but I was wondering if I could find something even smaller, and if possible with more runtime.
Perhaps something running on a 16340 battery?
I want something that doesn't have a twisty-like switch, and has a simple UI, like 1-2 modes.

ank

Newly Enlightened
Lol no.
I can't believe that plastic junk is sold for 80 bucks..

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a tough ask that, a 16340 powered light without a twist switch and with only 2 modes.

However, if you can stomach 3 modes, then the Zebralight SC32 may be for you. Technically, it is a six mode light with three of those being programmable, but in daily use, it acts like a three mode light. The advantage is that you can set those three modes the way you like it. To avoid a twisty interface, the Zebralight uses a side switch that is well recessed to prevent accidental operation, and you can slightly loosen the tailcap to lock it out. These features make it very suitable for keychain application.

x8353

Newly Enlightened
ThorFire KL03 is tailcap switched on/off. Once on, a half press cycles through high/low/strobe, but I tend to forget those options are even there. I consider it big for a keychain light, but that's compared to an oLight i3e, which is AAA & twisty. I know there are smaller 16340s, but way different budget than the ThorFire - I haven't been ready to go there yet for a keychain light. :}

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol no.
I can't believe that plastic junk is sold for 80 bucks..

So I've been into EDC style flashlights for 9+ years now. I can't recall ever purchasing a piece of junk esp. from Surefire and I would never recommend something I wouldn't buy or own myself. IMO only an idiot would spend $80 these days on a Sidekick considering it took me all of 3 seconds to find a bunch of reputable Ebay sellers selling them brand new for under $45 shipped. Each to their own. Best of luck on your search.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I've always liked the smaller USB lights for keychain use. Very small, light and add virtually no bulk to your keychain. Depends how much light you want in relation to whatever size you are comfortable with on your keys.

However, the smaller offerings in this format like the Nitecore Tube or the Fenix UC01 are fine for me. Simple one button control for one handed use, no fumbling with a twisty. 45 lumens is plenty in a pinch and you can charge it virtually anywhere.

Of course people are gravitating towards newer, more potent models like the Tip and Tini, but it's all personal preference.

Beckler

Enlightened
I think Olight S series is what you're looking for. Side switch and so many variations. I've previously had S10R as keychain but others such as S1 are smaller. UI isn't super simple tho...

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you don't want a twisty, I won't recommend the Fenix E05. Instead, get yourself a Photon Freedom. It's small, push activated and has multiple levels/modes.

Always have a Photon Freedom on me no matter what.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+1 for the Photon Freedom. Most reliable and durable keychain light I've ever used for many years. Then again it is made out of plastic. Hopefully you don't consider it a piece of junk.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Photon Freedom. Most reliable and durable keychain light I've ever used for many years. Then again it is made out of plastic. Hopefully you don't consider it a piece of junk.

I have been using a red Photon III Microlight since 2003. It respects my night vision and is pretty bright while being extremely compact. It uses an easily replaceable non-OEM battery, the CR2032 and was about what the Photon Freedom costs now. I left the insert in the light to keep the squeeze mode so that it never accidentally goes into discotheque/raver mode and kills the battery. It's basically just a squeeze light. I can see at how someone would balk at paying what Surefire is asking for a light that has a non-replaceable OEM lithium-ion battery that will probably go bad in a few years and that may be dead when you need it if it accidentally gets turned on while in the pocket. Plus you have to click through stupid modes. I really think one of the new warm Maglite Solitaires are gonna be my next 1AAA light purchase, but for me 1AAA lights are too bulky for the keychain. My personal preference is going with CR2016's or CR2032's.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Nitecore TIP. Sits nice in the pocket, is rechargeable, and puts out from 1 lumen on low to 360 lumens on high. Been doing this EDC thing for 10 years now, and I have never seen such a useful, utility pocket light as the TIP.

Last edited:

majid

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Nitecore TIP. Sits nice in the pocket, is rechargeable, and puts out from 1 lumen on low to 360 lumens on high. Been doing this EDC thing for 10 years now, and I have never seen such a useful, utility pocket light as the TIP.

Make sure you get the 2017 CRI version. It's my EDC and excellent. Only caveat: it can get activated by accident in your pocket, so keep the 1-minute auto-shutdown feature enabled.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've also switched to a TIP on my keychain. The 2017 CRI one. Previously I was EDC'ing a 4Sevens Ti Quark Mini (CR2) for many years.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've actually had terrible reliability issues with my Nitecore TIP. It barely lasted 2 weeks on my keychain.