Building Door Trim w/ Built-In Lighting - Lighting Type Ideas?

keith204

Newly Enlightened
I posted another topic requesting recommendations for decent LED strips. But, from another topic on this forum, there is very little hope in finding a decent LED strip.

That's fine. I'm OK with exploring custom solutions. A few months ago, I went on a research binge about Luxeon's Class A LEDs and have always had an itch to do a custom setup. I'm really into making power supplies anyway, so custom lighting solution would probably make me as giddy as a kid at disney land.

What sort of low profile lighting solutions should I look into for flat-ish applications (door trim). I'd like to have good spread of light, so probably several LEDs recessed in a dado in the trim.

Aluminum Stock...Heatsinks?

I'm under the impression that heat sinks are going to be my main obstacle. For what it's worth, I have a 50x30"ish sheet of 1/4 aluminum on hand that I could cut into strips/pods and use for this project if that would help.

Desired Voltage

I'd like to stay at 12V if possible, as I have a handful of MeanWell 12V supplies of various types on hand. But, a different voltage wouldn't be a deal breaker.

(other option I may go with): I'm considering using a Forstner bit and recessing some IKEA (or other brand) puck lights. That may be easier than custom and work good enough.

Thoughts and pointers would be appreciated.

keith204

Newly Enlightened
What area on/around the door are you trying to illuminate? How much light do you want?

The closet is only 2' deep by 4' wide. The space will be fairly dynamic, so I'd like a good flood of bright light.

I tested some LED puck under-counter lights that we have under our counters. They may do the trick but I'm not loving them.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, you want to light up the closet?

Assuming the LEDs will only be on when the closet door is open, you probably aren't worried about efficiency or LED lifetime, as you'll only be running it a few hours or a few tens of hours per year.

I'd get some cheap COB strips like these: http://www.dx.com/p/jrled-60x8mm-1w...e-led-module-dc-3v-10-pcs-493401#.WxdFL0gvy70

Running 3V LEDs on 12V is easy if you run 3 in series, with a resistor to adjust current. The efficiency isn't optimal, but in this case, who cares? With 9 LEDs and 3 resistors on each side of the door, you'd have a really good flood into the closet. Mount them on 6 foot pieces of 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock from the local home center, dado into the door frame, and you're good to go!

keith204

Newly Enlightened
Assuming the LEDs will only be on when the closet door is open, you probably aren't worried about efficiency or LED lifetime, as you'll only be running it a few hours or a few tens of hours per year.

Good point.

Mount them on 6 foot pieces of 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum bar stock from the local home center, dado into the door frame, and you're good to go!

Those look awesome. Do I simply mount with thermal paste?

Running 3V LEDs on 12V is easy if you run 3 in series, with a resistor to adjust current.

Can I run 4 in a series with a low-ohm resistor? And the wattage rating of the resistor - 1W, or is that over/underkill?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thermal glue is probably the easiest way for those particular ones. Not sure how else to mount them. Some other ones have flanges you can screw down.

Running 4 in series with a 12V supply is probably too many unless you want to significantly under-drive them. You need some voltage across the resistor in order for it to perform sufficient regulation. Otherwise, a small change in Vf of the LEDs (say, as they warm up) causes a large change in current.