Nitecore Concept 2

Beckler

Enlightened
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/concept2

Looks really interesting but then you soon wonder what this amazing new "concept" is, exactly? That you now need a screwdriver to replace the cells? :D Having 1 then 285 lumen level spacing is a new concept too - just a bad one. I had hope when I first saw this Concept series. Things like user-programmable levels, I thought (if a tiny zebralight can do it, so can this). Same with interface, it should be customizable and maybe another control of some sort. New stuff. Instead, this is nothing, basically.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting, because it is different, has 4 x XHP35, 4 x 18650, very compact, head diameter is not larger that the body diameter. This would fit nicely next to my Vinh TM06s XHP50.2, yielding less flood lumens, but some more throw. Very nice throw and power to size ratio.

I might just have to add this to my close watch list. Anyway, now begins the wait for the Nitecore Concept 3.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehehehehe ...

1 Lumen
285 Lumen
1000 Lumen
2500 Lumen
6500 Lumen

4x XHP35 - 6500 Lumen -

I don't think Nitecore had certain things in Mind when they brought this one to life ..
That 1 Lumen does appear to be out of place though , perhaps Notecore misplaced a few zero's ?
Though I must confess , a certain interest in 6500 Lumens . ( That is interesting and exciting )

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a terribly small host for such a high amount of heat output. 6500 lumen won't last long. 1-2500 lumen will be the sweet spot.

Beckler

Enlightened
I wonder though what the heat output of xhp is, roughly, compared to say xml2. One might think this concept2 should be an improvement over my old tm26 (xml2, 3800 Lm).

easilyled

Flashaholic
I like the power and compactness and most of all that its cubed shaped. I don't know why more flashlights aren't. Its so secure from an anti-roll point of view.

Yes, the first two levels, 1 lumen and then the jump to 285 lumens is not well-thought out although the light seems to be intended mainly for high output and the 1 lumen moonlight is a concession to those who want to walk around their house at night without blinding themselves.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehehehe , what is HUGE parasitic drain ?
So far from my recent Nitecore experience , parasitic drain has not been very huge ( Depending on what is huge )

I have measure 5mA , thats 0.05 Amp ....
You would need 20 of those to make 1 Amp ....

Lets say your battery is good for 3000mAh Lets divide that by 5 .. = 600 hours / divided by 24 = 25 Days Are the batteries parallel ? if so multiply by 4 = 100 Days
But thats assuming everything is constant ..
Which it is not , I have measure 0.00mA , then it jumps to 1.18mA then back to 0.00mA , then jumps to 0.28mA and back to 0.00mA and then occasionally up to 5.00mA
So it would not be unreasonable to double or triple the estimated stand bye time ..
Of course this is all speculation : Cant compare other Nitecore lights to this one ..
But I would suggest that jumping the gun might be a little preemptive considering the lack of facts .

markr6

Flashaholic
But I would suggest that jumping the gun might be a little preemptive considering the lack of facts .

It was experience in many cases, not lack of facts, for many customers. The 60mA drain on my EC4WS was unacceptable. I thought it was OK since most people were measuring 150+, but I went to use mine the other day and it was completely dead. When others are making sub-mA drain lights, almost anything can be called huge. My EA4 wasn't great either. I never tested my P30, but with a clicky switch I assume it's negligible.

I'm not big on strictly doing the math on how long "until dead" either. Do you really want to go for a light that was at 100% but is now 60% just from sitting? I like to pick up a light and know it's nearly the same level as when I used it last.

I like the looks of this light, but Nitecore left a sour taste in the past so the bar has been set low.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that I don't use large lights often. I do like to have them ready to go if my dogs barking. A light with a drain doesn't work for me. I have 2 TM series Nitecore lights. They both have too much battery drain for my use. I unscrew to battery compartment and that keeps the batteries from draining. I would not buy this light until I knew there were no drain issue with batteries.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
According to the manual, the standby time for the Concept 2 is around 9-12 months after fully charged. It shouldn't be a big hassle to charge the light every half year.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the power and compactness and most of all that its cubed shaped. I don't know why more flashlights aren't. Its so secure from an anti-roll point of view.
Probably because a round object is inherently more comfortable to hold. There's a reason almost everything designed to be grasped by the human hand is round.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Probably because a round object is inherently more comfortable to hold. There's a reason almost everything designed to be grasped by the human hand is round.

I disagree. I find a squarish flashlight like the Cube or McGizmo AquaRam just as comfortable to hold and less slippery.

Yes there's a reason why most flashlights are round. Its because most bar stock is round and therefore easier to machine with less wastage.

And there are many things designed for the human hand that are not round.

mightysparrow

Enlightened

Yes, the first two levels, 1 lumen and then the jump to 285 lumens is not well-thought out although the light seems to be intended mainly for high output and the 1 lumen moonlight is a concession to those who want to walk around their house at night without blinding themselves.

With all due respect, I don't think it likely that the various output levels are "not well thought out." The people at Nitecore most likely put a lot of thought into the design of their products, including details such as the various output levels.

Given the nature of this light, I think it appears to be designed primarily for output power and throw in a compact form, and I would guess that the various output levels might be designed to emphasize output power and throw as a result. It isn't likely that this light was intended to serve as a standard EDC light or walking around the bedroom light. I would think the designers would expect people who buy the Concept 2 to have other lights that serve those purposes.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
According to the manual, the standby time for the Concept 2 is around 9-12 months after fully charged. It shouldn't be a big hassle to charge the light every half year.

So after 9 months, it could be dead. So that means after just a few months, you're grabbing a half-dead light off the shelf. Hardly a half year, and pretty much useless for someone that needs a reliable runtime off the shelf. If they have time to charge cells, fine. But usually when I go for a light, I need it now and don't plan ahead.

I don't mean to be rude, only critical in a helpful way. The "standby life" or "won't be drained until" argument really needs to die in general.