Petzl duo s worth the money ?

wormyian

Newly Enlightened
just seen these new lights any one tried one are they worth that extra amount compared to say a zebralight or armytech

Zak

Enlightened
Low CRI, proprietary battery, lacks proper low modes, unspecified color temperature.

I'd say that this is worse for most users and use cases than several products from Armytek and Zebralight. Having a choice of beam patterns might be nice in some contexts, but this thing is so big and expensive you could just as easily bring a spare with different optics (e.g. an H600w and an H600Fd).

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
This headlamp is targeted to a very niche market. I honestly don't think it is anymore reliable and durable to a Zebralight and/or Fenix equivalent at much lower cost. At the lowest output at 80 lumens, I find it a bit too bright. Cool looking headlamp though. The previous Duo headlamp (LED/Incan hybrid) is featured in a few movies that I've seen in the past (e.g., Descent, The Cave).

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The headband looks like it ought to be pretty stable and comfortable. I see it also offers a mix of different beam shapes that should be useful for some. I suppose in some uses the Face2Face automatic dimming could be appreciated. And it's regulated, which many of the lower end Petzls are not.

It looks like the battery pack has a screwed together case, so it's likely possible to replace the cells yourself if they wear out.

At 370 grams, it's pretty heavy though, even considering it seems to have a 2-cell battery pack. An Armytek Wizard, which is a relatively heavy headlamp, weighs about 160 grams including one battery.

You should be just fine sticking with Zebralight or Armytek unless there is a specific feature the Duo S has that you really need. If you prefer the separated battery form factor for balance or other reasons, consider the Fenix HP series or perhaps the Nitecore HC70.

I looked up the user manual because I was curious to see if Petzl had anything else to say about what makes it worth $450. The only interesting info I found there is the color temperature is specified as 6000-7000K. Ugh.