LD-51 driver for xhp35

mehmeth

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys! First post and am going to be missing a cheap $15 long throw spotlight with a xhp35 and a LD51 driver. I'm still in the design stage and haven't purchased anything yet.

I am stuck on how to wire up the driver .
SPOTLIGHT-- https://www.kmart.com.au/product/led-high-output-spot-light/1706302

DRIVER-- https://m.gearbest.com/led-accessories/pp_391948.html

The housing is plastic so I think I need to run a ground wire through out the housing for this to work but unsure what goes where on the driver board. Any help appreciated.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome, that's an interesting modding project.

On drivers, they are meant to be fitted into a pill, to house both the driver and LED board (MPCB). There is a grounding ring at the outer edge of the driver, you can just solder to that.

Of course, you are going to have one (okay, two) large challenges. The XHP35 is a pretty serious LED, and will generate a lot of heat. What are you thinking of to handle that? Second issue, While four C batteries are indeed 6V, they won't have the guts to properly drive that LED for very long.

mehmeth

Newly Enlightened
I am going to run 2s2p 18650 with about 6ah. A hobby style lipo balance charger will be charging them. A heatsink is going to be installed and if need be a small fan or more aluminium around the inside edges.

Just unsure what the two wires coming off the driver do.

light-modder

Enlightened
The link says the driver is discontinued. The wires go to the led and are already installed on most drivers so that will apply to others as well.

mehmeth

Newly Enlightened
I have pulled it apart and it's a CREE LED. Could I get an id on it from the pics. And it also has a pill installed. Looks like it could be a nice build.
8ed430573cefdc6aedb792ec4fe50ed6.jpg
f760f1ba6f0ee10e6da33519f9ba7638.jpg
9c41db176bf1dd5600a8e433aef1651d.jpg

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The housing is pretty - that part is good.

The thermal path is about as terrible as a person could possibly come up with. It is almost like they tried to fail in every possible way, but I guess you can build a completely new thermal path for it. Perhaps mount it on a heat spreader with some fins and a fan.

If you can, move the driver away from the heat of the LED into another portion of the housing if possible. Drivers are mounted in "pills" because of space constraints - not because it is a good idea. Basically the pills are based on the idea that both the LED and driver need to get rid of excess heat, so why not use a common thermal path. With a plastic housing, there is essentially no thermal path, so separating them is a good idea.

As far as the specific LED, not sure, but the star mount board is a pretty handy format. Try to find one that has a small surface area so that it has a high surface brightness. It is a 3 watt version. Doesn't have to be cree - just get a really high brightness - small surface area one for a thrower.