Urban Night Walking and the Olight S1R Baton

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went out for a drink with a friend last night, choosing to pack my recently acquired Olight S1R Baton in the pocket that would normally be home to my Zebralight SC52d.

My mate was a few drinks ahead of me, so he ended up calling it a night at about 22:30. There was still a bit of natural light about, and it was a lovely evening, so I decided to take an hour long walk home instead of taking a taxi.

Once I'd got so far, there was less street lighting and I pulled out the little Olight. The first thing that struck me was how useful the little wrist strap was on it. It was no hassle at all to let the light dangle as I checked directions on my phone.

Along my route, I used the little Olight to look at the old canals, the river and the old railway station. It's remarkable how much light this tiny little thing produces.

As I ventured onto a dark, unlit path, I turned it on again and realised what a great walking light this is. It's not got the hotspot and spill of a reflector based light, just this lovely, smooth 60-ish degree cone of light that lit both my feet and the path ahead without having to move the light about much. Even though this light makes no claim to being Hi-CRI, the leaves of the bushes either side of the path seemed vivid and colourful to me.

As soon as I got home, it was really quick to just pop it back onto the magnetic charger. It was really so satisfying to have some quiet time to myself, joined by yet another great light.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well written as usual, Mike. This is what the world needs to understand. Flashlights are people, too!

I wish I had so much scenery near my home.

wweiss

Enlightened
Totally agree. In SW Connecticut it gets dark and this light is one of the best for late dog walking... Except for the tint, which is ghastly.

I went out for a drink with a friend last night, choosing to pack my recently acquired Olight S1R Baton in the pocket that would normally be home to my Zebralight SC52d.

My mate was a few drinks ahead of me, so he ended up calling it a night at about 22:30. There was still a bit of natural light about, and it was a lovely evening, so I decided to take an hour long walk home instead of taking a taxi.

Once I'd got so far, there was less street lighting and I pulled out the little Olight. The first thing that struck me was how useful the little wrist strap was on it. It was no hassle at all to let the light dangle as I checked directions on my phone.

Along my route, I used the little Olight to look at the old canals, the river and the old railway station. It's remarkable how much light this tiny little thing produces.

As I ventured onto a dark, unlit path, I turned it on again and realised what a great walking light this is. It's not got the hotspot and spill of a reflector based light, just this lovely, smooth 60-ish degree cone of light that lit both my feet and the path ahead without having to move the light about much. Even though this light makes no claim to being Hi-CRI, the leaves of the bushes either side of the path seemed vivid and colourful to me.

As soon as I got home, it was really quick to just pop it back onto the magnetic charger. It was really so satisfying to have some quiet time to myself, joined by yet another great light.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words folks.

I must have won the tint lottery with mine because there's nothing offensive about it, certainly not ghastly. Its colour temperature is cooler than my ideal, but out there in the real world, it performed admirably at bringing the surroundings to life.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Yes, very nice, detailed write up. Thanks for posting your experience as I'm a big fan of the different Olight baton lights.