LED Circuit Help

harmfulcow

Newly Enlightened
PXR6dtH
PXR6dtH
I am trying to convert a DeWalt (model DW919) work light to LED. I have the circuit assembled (sub-par diagram pictured here: https://imgur.com/a/PXR6dtH) but when I flip the switch the resistor fries. Did I get a way too small resistor? A little insight on what I did wrong in this circuit would be very helpful.
PXR6dtH

Circuit info:
20V DC source
1000mA driver (has dimmer, not using)
One Switch
3 Cree XP-G2 LEDs in series (one 3up star, Forward voltage @ 1000 mA =3.0v)
12.4 Ohm resistor

Thanks all

parametrek

Enlightened
Welcome to the forums. Sound like it'll be an impressive light.

The resistor should not be part of the circuit. I am assuming you meant LDD-1000HW not LDD-100HW.

There are 5 wires on the driver. The white wire is PWM and can be ignored. The black wire is "V in -" and that goes to the negative of the 20V battery. The red wire is "V in +" and that goes to the switch. The other side of the switch connects to battery positive. The blue wire is "V out -" and that goes to the minus side of the LED array. The yellow wire is "V out +" and that goes to the positive side of the LED array.

harmfulcow

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forums. Sound like it'll be an impressive light.

The resistor should not be part of the circuit. I am assuming you meant LDD-1000HW not LDD-100HW.

There are 5 wires on the driver. The white wire is PWM and can be ignored. The black wire is "V in -" and that goes to the negative of the 20V battery. The red wire is "V in +" and that goes to the switch. The other side of the switch connects to battery positive. The blue wire is "V out -" and that goes to the minus side of the LED array. The yellow wire is "V out +" and that goes to the positive side of the LED array.

I just tried the circuit without the resistors, and the LEDs didn't turn on, and the driver started smoking (I have more drivers, nbd). :(

When I include the resistors (before they start cooking), the lights activate but they cycle (blink) every second. I have limited circuit expertise so this is a head scratcher for me.

The battery model is a DCB203 if that helps. Thanks in advance if anyone has a solution.

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
PXR6dtH
PXR6dtH
I am trying to convert a DeWalt (model DW919) work light to LED. I have the circuit assembled (sub-par diagram pictured here: https://imgur.com/a/PXR6dtH) but when I flip the switch the resistor fries. Did I get a way too small resistor? A little insight on what I did wrong in this circuit would be very helpful.
PXR6dtH

Circuit info:
20V DC source
1000mA driver (has dimmer, not using)
One Switch
3 Cree XP-G2 LEDs in series (one 3up star, Forward voltage @ 1000 mA =3.0v)
12.4 Ohm resistor

Thanks all

As noted, no resistor, but you are hooking it up wrong. Note the standard application circuit in the data sheet.

Vin+ to + on battery.
Vin- to - on battery.

Vout+ to LED+
Vout- to LED-

DO NOT connect Vout- to Vin- ... as stated not to do in the data sheet.

Odds are you shorted out the current sensing resistors that are inside the DC-DC convertor, hence the smoke. That one is a throw-away. When you had the resistor, you were still somewhat shorting them out, but the current would only go up to 1A. Other things were happening that caused the flash.

harmfulcow

Newly Enlightened
As noted, no resistor, but you are hooking it up wrong. Note the standard application circuit in the data sheet.

Vin+ to + on battery.
Vin- to - on battery.

Vout+ to LED+
Vout- to LED-

DO NOT connect Vout- to Vin- ... as stated not to do in the data sheet.

Odds are you shorted out the current sensing resistors that are inside the DC-DC convertor, hence the smoke. That one is a throw-away. When you had the resistor, you were still somewhat shorting them out, but the current would only go up to 1A. Other things were happening that caused the flash.

V out - is connected to the - LED terminal, V in - is connected to the - battery terminal, V out + is connected to the + LED terminal, V in + is connected to the + battery terminal. I can see where my rather crappy circuit diagram might not have made all that clear. Here is a picture of the wiring without power to the circuit, red and black wires being + and - respectively. There isn't a switch in this one, I just pull the power connection since it is a test setup.

https://imgur.com/b6jzNdD

Thanks for all the responses all

harmfulcow

Newly Enlightened
V out - is connected to the - LED terminal, V in - is connected to the - battery terminal, V out + is connected to the + LED terminal, V in + is connected to the + battery terminal. I can see where my rather crappy circuit diagram might not have made all that clear. Here is a picture of the wiring without power to the circuit, red and black wires being + and - respectively. There isn't a switch in this one, I just pull the power connection since it is a test setup.

https://imgur.com/b6jzNdD

Thanks for all the responses all

I figured it out. The problem the whole time was the 20v Dewalt pack had its own power regulating components inside. When I hooked the circuit up to a "dumb" 18v dewalt, it worked just fine. Thanks again for the help guys/gals