• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New sealed Copper Olight corrosion

fonfan

Enlightened
Hello. I bought sealed Olight R50 raw copper SN 1023 2016. I'm very disappoint of the condition. Please don't use anymore this plastic for sealing. There are greenish corroded places on the body. It's not for gift or collectible condition. All your sealed products (even this year made) smini, S1r start corrosion immediatly in this plastic.
I used contact form on your website, sent emails to [email protected] [email protected] and have no answer.

22087371.jpg

More photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecx23bvt2id2re1/AAAMXCWTllTYZGkvNm3Qs9tea?dl=0

Last edited:

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
My r50 copper also came a little corrosion but not as bad as can be seen on your pic tho.. so i just think the plastic bag isnt 100% airtight for some reason.. But if u were to give someone that knows this they would think u gave them a used product. I agree it shouldnt look like that, even if u dont wanna open it for a very long time it should stay almost in perfect condition after sealed in fabric until u open it.

Also where did u buy the r50, i thought they were long gone ? i got my in december last year from amazon.

Last edited:

SNES

Newly Enlightened
I bought a copper S1A a month ago that came like this.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't this normal for raw copper? It would be very difficult to keep it away from everything corrosive (the air) for two years.

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Isn't this normal for raw copper? It would be very difficult to keep it away from everything corrosive (the air) for two years.

Well yes but the whole point is to keep it sealed until the customer opens it otherwise i dont see the point in trying protect when it clearly doesnt.

jdl6mm

Newly Enlightened
Yea, I might be wrong but I don't think that's what this plastic baggy is for. I'd say it's just more for tiny scratches and stuff. It would need corrosion inhibitor and vacuum sealed if you wanted factory finish after storage for a long time.

ven

Flashaholic
My TOOL cu came in a foil bag, now no way of knowing how long it was in there for. But seemed to do the trick and looked all perfect(patina free anyway).

Ketchup is another option to clean off the patina.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper is quite reactive, and unless vacuum packed in foil it will oxidize. If you don't like that, choose a different metal.

Olightworld

Enlightened
I will head over to our Customer Service Dept and make sure one of our reps get's a hold of you.