Malkoff threads ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Very Few New Posts?

[associated post content retained in parent 'Few new posts' thread]
And I definitely agree the Malkoff thread is sucking up a lot of posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: Very Few New Posts?

[...] And I definitely agree the Malkoff thread is sucking up a lot of posts.
This is a very interesting point and one that I have found troublesome for a while now.

We used to run a number of Malkoff threads; threads featuring the dropins M61, M91, M31, M61L, are the first examples that come to mind - but many others as well.
These threads were productive and useful depositories of topical information.

The 'junkies' thread used to focus on the Malkoff flashlights, but has now usurped all of the other specific & defined conversations - and frankly, it is a mess;
Important & specific info on a particular Malkoff topic is now spread over literally hundreds of pages, and is lost by having dozens of disparate conversations interleaved.

Edit: For example, anybody recall these threads?

Some of the more pertinent topics have been continued in the 'Junkies' thread, so pretty much all of the above are now 'dead'.

The thing is, that there's no way now that relevant information will be findable after it gets to be 10-20 pages back now, so topically-related queries are just reposted and the cycle continues ...

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
OK, to add to what I've written above;

In spite of the raging success of the 'Malkoff Junky' thread:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336391-The-Official-Malkoff-Junkie-thread-Part-2

That thread is now 6 years old and has close to 15,000 posts.
This in itself is not an issue - there's nothing wrong with a 'social club' sort of thread dealing with a popular CPF topic & product line.

What I think is an issue, is that the more specific technical content - content that can be very useful to newer readers or users interested in technical capabilities - is diluted & disorganized enough to loose much of its usefulness.

The threads I've cited above are some good (albeit now rather dated) examples.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
So, my idea is this;

Close the massive ~500 page 'Junkies' thread;
Open new 'Malkoff Hall' (?) thread;

Synonyms here:
https://www.powerthesaurus.org/clubhouse

Topics to include: suggestions, experiences, opinions, etc.

---------

And then also restart some of the topical Malkoff threads - for specific product content.

I can do my part, posting current info in selected threads: my extremely rare M91N & how I used it in my December elk hunting trip, my epic M31 car flashlight kit w/ a new custom revision, that sort of thing.

Others here have experience with the MDC bodies, for example - and yes, we had a thread for those as well. :)

What say you?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
In addition to the new "clubhouse" , I'd like to see the following technical discussion threads ...

• HD / SHD
• WC
• MDx
• MDC

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Some new threads would be needed certainly; perhaps they shouldn't be /too/ specific is my only thought - but I would be happy to leave that up to individual contributors. I confess to knowing rather little about Malkoff products outside of the P60-format dropins. (Of which, I happen to be rather well-read. :))

For my part, I can assist in searching for existing topics & moving new threads / posts into existing relevant threads.

-----

But the radical part would be for me to close the immensely popular (& productive) 'Junkies' thread, something I wouldn't undertake lightly; But in the interest of having additional specific conversations and a healthier overall discussion platform.

Last edited:

Blues

Enlightened
I think a Malkoff Lounge would be cool, but some might feel neutral about the idea. (A dim attempt at flashlight humor.)

I also think it makes sense to have separate threads for kibitzing vs. technical and "how to" topics.

Who's buying the first round?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
On the Malkoff website, he logically categorizes the lights into "small" , "mid-sized" , and "large" ... seems reasonable to me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Any member can open any discussion thread they'd like to - all that is cool - and the typical way of doing things.
Which would of course be most appreciated - the last thing I'd want is to discontinue any conversations of current interest to members.

For my part, I'd like to offer up a more-defined casual thread after closing the Junkies ('Borg assimilator ' ;)) thread.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It seems every forum I've been on over the years has a runaway thread where multiple conversations take place at the same time. The Malkoff Junkie thread is ours.

I'd prefer it stay open for general chit-chattery about Malkoff subject matter, yet perhaps the 'specific' stuff can be shaped into specific threads, some of which already exist.
"Poor Man's Haiku" and "M31" are examples that didn't get sucked into the swirling black hole abyss of the "Junkie" thread.

Success can be a tricky thing.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for Malkoff lounge.

I frankly don't read anything else.Mr. Malkoff deserves it. The users deserve it. and want it.

The massive Malkoff Junkie thread is impossible to navigate. There is tons of good info there, buried somewhere. Leave it in the Malkoff lounge but start, smaller, manageable threads that focus on single items.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I've understood correctly, the Malkoff Hall is actually a dedicated sub-forum, with organized access to individual topic threads? Seems that's the only way it could work, otherwise you end up searching for old product threads to ask a new question, without being entirely sure that the thread exists. People will open duplicate or rival threads, then we end up with a new variety of disorganization.

I agree that the current thread is a beast.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No no not a dedicated subforum, that's a different animal altogether.

Historically, there exists considerable precedent for closing huge threads & offering up a new one as a subsequent 'Part x'.

What I am wanting to do is to define a smaller scope for the next ongoing thread, and reinitiating the technical / topical Malkoff threads we used to do.

Edit: etc nails it in his post above.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] People will open duplicate or rival threads, then we end up with a new variety of disorganization.
It is very easy to find existing threads on any specific topic via the Google search function, /and/ also easy for Staff to merge new threads into existing known ones - our collective knowledge is an asset here.

Nothing new here, it's how it was done for many years before the Junkies 'Borg' thread - and worked very well.

nbp

Flashaholic
Alright K, when you figure this one out you can start on HDS... [emoji39] hehehe