Surefire L1 digital lumamax

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Yup, that is the /aspheric/ Gen4 or Gen5; 22Lm Hi, 2.2Lm Low

Epic, epic runtime; 100+ hrs claimed.

I think it was AngelofWar who ran the ultimate test; was still getting visible output after like 1500+ hours of sequential runtime.

The all-time CR123 battery vampire champion.

My very first SF, and what got me to CPF. :)

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted a comparative, side-by-side photo of all six generations of the L1. Gens 1-4 had 4-flats bodies. Gens 5 & 6 had round bodies as does yours. Based upon the relative length and the relative font size of the label, I think that it is a gen 5. I just compared it to my gen 5 L1, and it looks the same.

Edit: I was writing this as Kestrel posted.

I think it is a gen 5 partly because of the round body and partly because of the font size and type (all caps).
I can't compare the lens with my gen 5 because it was modded by Milkyspit, and now has a flat lens and reflector.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Epic, epic runtime; 100+ hrs claimed.

I think it was AngelofWar who ran the ultimate test; was still getting visible output after like 1500+ hours of sequential runtime.

The all-time CR123 battery vampire champion.

Of the two links I posted above, check out post# 9 on the top link, regarding runtime.
Un.be.lievable.
The quintessential battery vampire indeed.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
Someone posted a comparative, side-by-side photo of all six generations of the L1. Gens 1-4 had 4-flats bodies. Gens 5 & 6 had round bodies as does yours. Based upon the relative length and the relative font size of the label, I think that it is a gen 5. I just compared it to my gen 5 L1, and it looks the same.

Edit: I was writing this as Kestrel posted.

I think it is a gen 5 partly because of the round body and partly because of the font size and type (all caps).
I can't compare the lens with my gen 5 because it was modded by Milkyspit, and now has a flat lens and reflector.

I agree, gen 5. I have gen 4 and 5 and 2 gen 6s.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking it should be more than 4 hrs. of runtime on Hi if it's only putting out 22lm. Or is that incorrect to compare it to today's standard.

In the 2003 SureFire catalog the original L1 is listed on page 33 at 15 lumens for 1.5 hours. And in the 2006 catalog, the L1 is indeed listed as 22 lumens for four hours. In the 2007 catalog, L1 output is 65 lumens (of blinding light as it says ;) in 2008) for 1.5 hours. The L1 wasn't in the 2009 catalog, it had been replaced by the mythical LX1 which never made it to market.

For a modern comparison, the EDCL-1T puts out 500 lumens for one hour on a single CR123A cell according to SureFire.

These runtimes have been claimed with various qualifiers and measurement methods over the years including the current FL1 standard.