Best EDC pocket rocket for $500 ?

Jader

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! I have been a long time forum reader but this is my first thread. I was hoping you great guys and gals could help me pick out a new torch. :) What is the best EDC pocket rocket for around $500?

I'd like to keep the budget at $500 but would be willing to go up to $750 for the right light. I want something that will fit in a pocket and one hand comfortably (around single 18650 size). I'm not picky about battery type. I prefer daylight tint, not too warm and not too cool. Beam pattern with balanced flood and throw.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best EDC pocket rocket for $500

That's a very generous budget. Have you considered the Oveready Boss? Lots of options, lots of power. Super sleek and totally bomb proof.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

Way out of my single-light budget but I am kind of curious about what $500 can get you. The Oveready Boss would be the one that comes to mind for me as well but I am not sure if the listed 4000K color temperature is what you want. 4000K is a personal favorite of mine but you may want something a little closer to 5000K.

Jader

Newly Enlightened

Awesome, thank you! I am considering the oveready boss. 5000K would be more to my liking but 4000K might be alright.

colight

Enlightened

You can get very good lights for even less than $100 that will also fit your description of pocket rocket, and I'm specifically referring to Fenix' TK20R and PD35 TAC. Being a dedicated Fenix fan, I'm not at all familiar with products from other manufacturers, but obviously others produce equally good lights, or maybe even better. According to most post/comments I've read, the PD35 TAC is clearly the more popular of the two mentioned for some unknown reason, but I personally consider both great lights. For your kind of budget, you can seriously look at exclusive manufacturers that will produce a light to your personal taste and specifications.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Hello Jader & :welcome:
I have moved your thread from /LED Flashlights/ to the /Recommend me.../ subforum.

I understand your preference for 5000K as that is my preferred color temp as well - I do not like pinks or strong yellows that occur in some of the 4000's.

I have a wide selection of Neutrals:
  • two 4000K XM-L EZW's
  • one 4000K OR V.3 Triple
  • two 4000K Malkoff 'N's
  • one 4500K Mako 'Flood'
  • two 5000K XM-L2's
  • three very rare (& treasured) Malkoff 5000K's
However, I have handled a few of the "4000K" BOSS units from OR and was very impressed with their tints; I have never seen a better 'neutral' and they are superior to some of my "4000K" and "5000K" lights.

I think that part of the reason is that they select within a very narrow color temp range, which I think tends to eliminate some of the off-tints that we can encounter with some 'neutral' emitters.

Good luck and let us know how you like your BOSS. ;)

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best in which way? Materials? UI? Emitters? Rocket wise the Emisar DR is the brightest, most compact, great emitter options, and great UI. Some of the more expensive options lose a lot of this in favor of fancy metals.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, on the cheap end of your range, a Titanium Emisar D4. Bright as you'll get for the 10-15 seconds of fame in a small pocket light, and long lived on low modes. The titanium version also has the nice titanium square knurls instead of the new nasty sandpaper finish on the aluminum models.

Keitho

Enlightened
It goes $56 over your $500 budget, but I'd say the best bet would be the Emisar D4: all six colors of the Ti, and all four colors of the Al. Between those 10 pocket rockets, each one could have a different one of the 14 LED choices. Then, you could real quick turn them all on turbo at once, and have close to 40000 lumens (and a few seconds later, a fire).

Another way I might go if I had those bucks to spend--I might have a machinist customize a nice light that I already enjoy. Maybe take a Zebralight, cut off the battery tube, add threads and a tube that would accept a 21700 cell. Or, get Vinh to mod an Emisar D4 with the LED and driver you want, plus cerakote or other ceramic coating.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best in which way? Materials? UI? Emitters? Rocket wise the Emisar DR is the brightest, most compact, great emitter options, and great UI. Some of the more expensive options lose a lot of this in favor of fancy metals.

Yeah, I'd suggest the D4, 219CT option, the 18350 body and the pocket clip, all for $47.40 shipped when I bought it in December. It's $5 less now.

Spend the rest on hookers and blow.

Chris

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Join the Flashlight Fanatics group on Facebook. You will see all kinds of options there. I actually made a post asking for recommendations but haven't gotten many. If you would be okay with an 18350 light some of them would be:

-Hanko Trident
-Cool Fall
-Okluma
-Rotoblade Vision
-Barrel Flashlight Company
-Venom Orion
-PELE flashlight (CWF Custom Flashlights on Facebook)
-A light from Strong Lights LLC

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Join the Flashlight Fanatics group on Facebook. You will see all kinds of options there. I actually made a post asking for recommendations but haven't gotten many. If you would be okay with an 18350 light some of them would be:

-Hanko Trident
-Cool Fall
-Okluma
-Rotoblade Vision
-Barrel Flashlight Company
-Venom Orion
-PELE flashlight (CWF Custom Flashlights on Facebook)
-A light from Strong Lights LLC
Love my Spy, but im not sure it is a rocket

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, on the cheap end of your range, a Titanium Emisar D4. Bright as you'll get for the 10-15 seconds of fame in a small pocket light, and long lived on low modes. The titanium version also has the nice titanium square knurls instead of the new nasty sandpaper finish on the aluminum models.

Exactly the reason I never was interested in aluminum Emisars. But D4Ti is in the mail right now :)

Jader

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the info!

Kestrel - special thanks for the detailed info on the oveready boss tint. This seems like a great option.

All who suggested the Emisar D4 - definitely going to get one but I am looking for something with more style too.

Really like all the custom stuff suggested.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would definitely recommend the OR versus most of the custom triples out there. The BOSS has:

Battery flexibility. Can take 1 or 2 li-ion an 2 cr123 while most others are single li-ion only.
Very easy to use web-based programming and voltage check.
An excellent pocket clip with strong holding power that doesn't snag easily or shred clothes.
Smooth, heavy duty square cut threads, with anodizing for lockout if you opt for coated aluminum.
Dual springs for battery.
IMO the best styling. I love the retro-future look.

If you want something a bit more throw focused than a triple you could buy a McGizmo as host and an H17F SuperLE from Tana here on the forums.