Small Pocket-Carry EDC Single CR123A

litzerski

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all. I'm in search of a new single-CR123A pocket-carry EDC flashlight. I used to carry an EagleTac D25C, which I loved. The user interface (with the MANY strobe modes) is kind of a drag, but I got used to it and know it well. Eventually, it stopped working. I tried installing a new clicky switch which didn't fix the problem, so I started carrying my EagleTac D25A in its place and have been carrying it for the last 4-5 years. Now I've been considering purchasing a new D25C, but thought I'd consult with the experts and see if there's anything else I should consider.

I'm looking for a light that is as small as possible, and am pretty set on a single CR123A light, which is one of the reasons I really dig the D25C. Looking for a floody beam as the main uses are moonlight mode for early morning don't-wake-up-the-wife uses, low to mid brightness for everyday uses like finding things in dark places, and occasional bright needs. If the beam is a bit spotty/throwy, I'm okay with it too, just lean slightly floody in preference. Tail-stand is great for power outages. I've used both forward and reverse clicky lights and both have their advantages. In the perfect world, I'd prefer 3 or 4 levels of brightness (moon, low, med, high) with no blinky modes (or reasonably hidden blinky modes).

So, what do y'all recommend? Should I get myself another EagleTac D25C, or switch it up with something different?

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X__Up to $100.

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

_X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

_X__I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
_X__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
_X__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
_X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
_X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_X__I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
_X__I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
_X__I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
_X__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_X__I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_X__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
_X__IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions
_X__ Will be carried in my front pocket

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

_X__Tailstand

Here's pictures of my worn in D25A that I've been carrying every day for about 5 years.

xkAQ7kVh.jpg

vlRV44sh.jpg

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Nitecore EC11. It will take either a CR123 or RCR123/IMR18350 cell. It has five modes, and its lowest is 1 lumen. I have been EDCing its cousin, the EA11 (AA cell format) for a couple of years now and really like it. I belt carry, and most of the time forget it is even there. It has the usual strobe. beacon, SOS modes but they are hidden off to the side of the normal mode sequence. It also has a red secondary LED that can be used as a flashlight or a beacon as well. Best off, the MSRP is $60, and one can usually find it a few dollars cheaper.

litzerski

Newly Enlightened
I was actually looking at the Nitecore EC11. It's an interesting design, but I'm concerned with how often it'll accidentally get turned on while being in the same pocket as a pocket knife, Leatherman and pen. With the tail clicky switch, my lights will very rarely be accidentally activated.

Other than that, I really dig the design and user interface.

Keitho

Enlightened
Zebralight SC53Fc is programmable, very nice high CRI beam, close to 300 lumens. Can use alkaline, or save yourself some money in the long run with NiMH (but not required). Doesn't have the requested tail switch or momentary mode, and it is AA. FWIW, I carry my ZL everyday in a crowded front pocket (using the pocket clip) with no problems with activation of the side switch.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
The Malkoff a123 MDC is right at about that $100 budget, about $106 I believe. Made in USA, basically bomb proof, and a real lifetime warranty from a real company that really honors their warranty.

Just putting it out there. Made in USA is kind of a big deal to me and that light checks most of those boxes. You also get a choice of tint/CRI/output preference. Cool white for max output, neutral for if you prefer that, and illumination supply has them with a 219b for high CRI flavor.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
If you want really small, you can go with an Olight S1 mini. Some variants are neutral white as well, and special materials like copper or titanium fit in budget as well.

The D25C Clicky with the Nichia 219c is a nice high CRI option if you really liked your D25A.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff a123 MDC is right at about that $100 budget, about $106 I believe. Made in USA, basically bomb proof, and a real lifetime warranty from a real company that really honors their warranty.

Just putting it out there. Made in USA is kind of a big deal to me and that light checks most of those boxes. You also get a choice of tint/CRI/output preference. Cool white for max output, neutral for if you prefer that, and illumination supply has them with a 219b for high CRI flavor.

+1 for the Malkoff. It will never stop working.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually looking at the Nitecore EC11. It's an interesting design, but I'm concerned with how often it'll accidentally get turned on while being in the same pocket as a pocket knife, Leatherman and pen. With the tail clicky switch, my lights will very rarely be accidentally activated.

Other than that, I really dig the design and user interface.
I know it means another step and a delay while it goes through its voltage routine, but I keep mine with the tail cap turned a quarter turn. Makes sure there will be no accidental turn ons and cuts the parasitic drain as well. The other option is to lock out the controls.

Tangiblestar

Newly Enlightened
I second the Olight recommendation. The S1r is tiny, in your budget, has useful but not overly complicated modes and a (supposed) 900 lumen turbo.

frigide

Newly Enlightened
I second the Olight recommendation. The S1r is tiny, in your budget, has useful but not overly complicated modes and a (supposed) 900 lumen turbo.

Is there a way to remove the magnet en ad a keychain ring to the Ologht S1 mini?

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The original S1 had a keychain hole and you could remove the magnet, if I recall correctly. The later versions including the mini don't have the keychain hole. The S1R's magnetic charging relies on the magnet and I don't think it is removable. The mini's like the copper and titanium variants don't have magnets.

You might be able to use the hole in the clip to attach it to a keychain, but I don't know how secure that would be.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the Nitecore EC11. It will take either a CR123 or RCR123/IMR18350 cell.

I tell you what, I'll gift my Nitecore EC11 to the Original Poster. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll withdraw it from sale and send it out to you on Wednesday completely free-of-charge. Should take about 5-7 working days.

The only thing I ask is that if you don't like it, you pay-it-forward and gift it to the next CPF member.

Edit: OFFER WITHDRAWN

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually looking at the Nitecore EC11. It's an interesting design, but I'm concerned with how often it'll accidentally get turned on while being in the same pocket as a pocket knife, Leatherman and pen.

EC11 had two lockout modes, one where you have to press and hold both of the buttons to lock and unlock. The other is to just loosen the tailcap a 1/4 turn. I use the latter because it is quicker.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tell you what, I'll gift my Nitecore EC11 to the Original Poster. Drop me a PM with your address and I'll withdraw it from sale and send it out to you on Wednesday completely free-of-charge. Should take about 5-7 working days.

The only thing I ask is that if you don't like it, you pay-it-forward and gift it to the next CPF member.

I'm afraid I am going to withdraw this offer and open it up as a postage costs only deal.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a way to remove the magnet en ad a keychain ring to the Ologht S1 mini?

I don't have the S1 Mini but per Olight - The battery is removable but you will need a small round piece of foam to take its place when removed. There are still Sminis without the magnet available but they don't come with the rechargeable battery. I don't see any way to add a key ring to the S1 Mini or the Smini tailcap unless you mod them somehow but there isn't much to work with. Both lights have key ring attachment holes on their clips but they seem less than ideal. The older S1 Baton has a lanyard hole in the tailcap but it is designed for string lanyards so it would be tough to add a ring if it is even possible. The S1 Baton is also still available and the magnet is removable.

Last edited: