Single Battery Putsch?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been experimenting with some revolutionary ideology. What if I overthrow the ruling paradigm and sell all of my multi-cell lights, acquiring only single cell flashlights in their place. Specifically, these would include the following three categories.

Category 1: Single AA lights, such as the Malkoff MDC AA. (Purpose: back-up or emergency usage)

Category 2: Single CR123 lights, including HDS and Malkoff M31 variants. (Purpose: EDC)

Category 3: Single 18650 lights, like the Hound Dog 18650 and other MD2 options. (Purpose: power, range, task lighting)

Pros:

1) Safety. I don't fear lithium ion cells. I'm sure they are perfectly safe, perhaps in the same way that living next to a nuclear power plant is safe. It's really clean energy. Go green! In all seriousness, I know that running two quality, well matched cells in series is not a terrible risk. I'm also aware that running a single li-on cell is not without hazard. Most of us would agree, though, that the probability of a thermal runaway increases with the number of cells.

2) Simplicity. Let the multi-meter enjoy semi-retirement. No more matching sets. Stop discarding partially depleted primaries. Put one battery in your light and use it. Charge when appropriate.

3) Disaster preparedness. When the war comes, it will be easier to find one battery than two.

4) Portability. Toting a full sized flashlight can be a chore. A bright light is useless if it's not with me when I need it.

Cons:

1) Attachment! Some of my best friends are Malkoff Hound Dogs. Parting with them would be like selling family into slavery.

2) Loss of output. Multi-battery lights exist for a reason.

3) Loss of run time. A pair of 18650's can run a low setting forever.

I'm looking for advice. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made this same choice 10 years ago. The only multi-cell lights that I keep around are my 4D maglite and a small variety of 2D/AA lights I keep as loaners and emergency lights.

I don't need much output for EDC and at the low levels I typically use (30L or less) run time is not an issue, so I don't benefit from any of the advantages of a multi-cell light.

--flatline

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what I was going to say. There's no need for a hair shirt, just take out the batteries and put them in a cupboard.
My most used lights are all single cell (unless I put 2 x 18350s in my Overeadys, to give myslef a glow) and like you, my good friends are MD4 Wildcat and Hound, but they only get used in the Winter. So I completely understand where you're coming from. Also I do like chunky lights so no AAA for me.
P

ven

Flashaholic
Most of my lights are single cell in one way or another, but imo there should always be place for a multi cell light. Several reasons, one that may get overlooked is simply run time on low settings. 50 even 100lm to light a room for long duration's come any power outage. No need to swap out cells as regular on lower modes, also on some larger lights, running 1000 or even 2000lm for long periods without heat issues(breaking a sweat) Where a single cell light would struggle past a few minutes..............

Enjoy them, if not getting any use then sell on if wont be missed, but i would keep one multi cell light for any potential long run time application. Be it looking of a person,cat or dog all night through the woods, or simply a corner room mood setting on just double digit lumens.

spaceminions

Newly Enlightened
Counterexample: 2xaaa/aa, especially in direct drive for simplicity. Very useful small lights, and eneloop nimh aaa's are very stable and last many recharge cycles.

Also, I will not use any variant of cr123 willingly, but that's perhaps just me. I definitely don't want primaries except as a last resort.

Single 18650 lights can be very good, but when you take the cells out to charge in a good charger anyway, and you don't discharge them to dangerously low levels, the larger capacity and lower stress on each cell is welcome. Running 4 leds off a single 18650 as the d4 does is very tough. Since my 4-cell q8 and 4-bay chargers have the number of cells common, it's very easy to never need to test cells. The 4 are taken from the q8 and put on the charger and taken from the charger and put in the q8. There's no complexity there. Were I to need to use less than 4 cells I could use as few as one and still be no worse off than someone who only had one in the first place.

I'd just hold on to them, rather than not have any.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the increased simplicity and safety.

I have made a few specific and planned power adjustments over the years I have been here....

Currently at > 90% mono-cell setups. There are still a few flashlights that simply require higher voltages, especially HID and Incandescent (notably my SureFire A2) , and a few high-output LED "searchlights" (like some of the larger Malkoffs) , but for the vast majority of my day-to-day EDC and use I am intentionally choosing single cell powered lights.

Also (hopefully not too far off topic) I have finally achieved > 99.9% alkaline-free battery choices. Other than one or two devices that just simply will not run on alternatives (mostly 9V powered) , this has greatly reduced the mess and worry of damage from leaking cells.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why no 1aaa category?

Nothing against the AAA. I suppose I'm just trying to simplify things by standardizing three battery types.

There's no need for a hair shirt...

Well, I wouldn't be fasting. I'd just be feasting at a different table.

Enjoy them, if not getting any use then sell on if wont be missed, but i would keep one multi cell light for any potential long run time application.

I take your point. Truth is, though, that I never use my multi-cell lights. I sense the wastefulness every time I look at, for example, my Hound Dog Super. I simply had to have one when they were first released. Since then, I used it on a night hike twice and conducted some experiments with a range finder. When I ask myself why it sits unused, I have to answer that it is too big and I don't like the trouble of keeping batteries ready for it.

I've got some decisions to make. Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
In that case mr flame, certainly worth considering parting with then. My use drops significantly during this time of year for bigger lights, pretty much simply because i dont need big outputs from big lights during the day/evening. Its light till past my bed time! Walks in the evening are few are far between also, but come autumn/winter, i do enjoy blasting away the darkness. Some of us are minimalists, others collectors, depending on where you sit, the decision should not be too hard either way.

As we are all different in our flashaholism, its hard to recommend which way to go. For me its a nice piece of light and would be worth keeping. But then, it would also pay for a nice custom HDS which you might get far more use out of....................being holster/pocket friendly.

Maybe hide away from sight, for a week or two and see if you miss it. This way imagine it out of your life, you might not care or might crave for it after a few days..............even if to see it on a shelf or next to the back door. Just thoughts, of a world with so many issues, this one is a good one to have:)