Best 1x18650 throw flashlight with no hot spot?

neokeitaro

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm a photographer and for my next project I'm looking for a light, compact flashlight with good throw but no hot spot (it will be used mounted on a drone for light-painting. The hot spot would make it very hard to paint with, the weight would kill the drone). Bonus point if it has high CRI.
I've looked around but obviously when you're looking for very good throwers you find big flashlights. Do you guys know anything decent with these criteria? Thanks!

neokeitaro

Newly Enlightened
I like the flood pics, but I fear this lamp won't be powerful enough for me :/

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I'm thinking you would need an optic like what is used in the Olight S1, but larger.

Most good throwers use either a large reflector or an aspheric lens. Both of these produce a significant hotspot, which is how they achieve throw. Something like the Emisar D1 or D1S would be about the smallest you would get, but they also don't have the thermal mass nor surface area to keep heat under control for long.

XPL HI are available in a high CRI form, but only in a very warm CCT. XHP70.2 are available in neutral high CRI, but larger. XML2 are available high CRI, but it's a bit older tech.

Maybe try swapping the XML2 in the Olight S2 for a high CRI one? That's the closest I can think of to what I think you are asking for.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Nearest light to producing the type of beam you want would be one of surefires TIR optic lense throwers. I had a surefires UBR invictus and the beam was just a smooth wide hotspot with no spill.
They are expensive though.

neokeitaro

Newly Enlightened
The Olight S2 looks like a decent choice actually. The UBR has a great beam but yeah, a bit too big and out of my budget.

Thanks!

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The S2 probably has the closest beam pattern you want, and is fairly small. The downside is CRI, but from what I've seen it's fairly easy to remove the MCPCB, just pry off the bezel and you should be able to remove the optic to gain access. Then you just need to remove it, reflow an XML2 Easywhite onto it, then reinstall and reattach the leads (guide link). I've heard rumours of the Nichia 219 making atrocious beam artifacts with the optic, so that's why I'd recommend the high CRI XML2.

I haven't really seen anyting else that projects essentially a diffuse spotlight, reasonably budget, lightweight, and mod-able for high CRI. :(