Which aa mini maglite do I have?

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened
I own at least 20 Maglites, but one of them is difficult for me to identify with 100 percent confidence.

Two AA batteries.
LED
Multi Function.. High, Low and Strobe (slow blink)

How can I identify the actual model?

I believe it has 245 Lumens, but I am not sure how long ago I bought this one. seems bright enough, but I am tempted to try the 272 lumens if this one is less than 100 lumens.. How does one tell the model? I know it is a Pro Plus and that Maglite only offers this in the 245 lumen version.. but did they also have a previous / discontinued model?

Thank you in advance..

BTW, off topic, I own 8 magchargers all of which are the 6 volt with Halogen Bulb and a bunch of various other maglites like the 3 cell ML300L.
The oldest maglite magcharger seems to be 1983,,

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have a 4 mode Mini Mag LED:

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...-aa-flashlight-holster-pack.html#.WymHxZ9KiUk

The modes are high, 25% low, blink and SOS. Currently these are 97 lumens, before that they were 77 and before that 60 something. The Pro and Pro Plus are different they have higher lumens and either 1 mode (Pro) or 2 Modes (Pro Plus). The Pro and Pro + are marked as such on the bezel ring.

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you have a 4 mode Mini Mag LED:

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...-aa-flashlight-holster-pack.html#.WymHxZ9KiUk

The modes are high, 25% low, blink and SOS. Currently these are 97 lumens, before that they were 77 and before that 60 something. The Pro and Pro Plus are different they have higher lumens and either 1 mode (Pro) or 2 Modes (Pro Plus). The Pro and Pro + are marked as such on the bezel ring.

Awesome! Thank you for your help...
Yes! Four Modes, missed the SOS that is handy..

97 Lumens is great (Longer Lasting Battery Life)
I will buy the 275 Lumens this affternoon if WalMart has it in stock

Thank you for confirming my thoughts (100 Lumens)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wow, I did not know of this 4 mode minimag.

So how do you switch settings?

I remembered trying a Pro + and found out I needed to do the hokey pokey to get it to turn to low... and being I was never good at doing said hokey pokey, gave it to a software designer friend of mine.

Welcome aboard MX5. The 272 model is quite a bit brighter and has a lot less twist required to go from spill to spot.
I like me some classic Mags like you own, but those new C sized ML series are pretty nice.

We have a Maglite expert here. Liftd4R who can ID that older Magcharger by the serial number. He'll likely see your thread title and pop in.

Thanks for the info xx. Good lookin' out bro.

Last edited:

Frdlite

Newly Enlightened
I also am a magcharger fan I myself have seven. Five have been upgraded with malkoff and other upgrades. My first one is also from around 1983.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I also am a magcharger fan I myself have seven. Five have been upgraded with malkoff and other upgrades. My first one is also from around 1983.
I recently picked up the Mag
charger Led and the ML 150 LR. Both are awesome lights for my needs. I am tempted to also get a halogen version of the mag charger and get the malkoff drop in. Is it worth it or a step back from the mag charger Led?

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened
Update: Bought the 272 Double A Pro at Walmart today. The packaging says it is a 272 and it performs like a 272. Funny thing is it does not say PRO on the bezel. Love the performance. Also, on the magchargers, I have all four versions of the switches, some of the flashlights have the large 7 digit serial numbers others have eight numbers and one of them has an R in front of the 8 numbers,,, Might buy the LED version to keep the tradition.. Might also have to search a few of my storerooms to pull out the other Maglites lost in boxes and hidden on shelves..

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I did not know of this 4 mode minimag.

So how do you switch settings?

I remembered trying a Pro + and found out I needed to do the hokey pokey to get it to turn to low... and being I was never good at doing said hokey pokey, gave it to a software designer friend of mine.

Welcome aboard MX5. The 272 model is quite a bit brighter and has a lot less twist required to go from spill to spot.
I like me some classic Mags like you own, but those new C sized ML series are pretty nice.

We have a Maglite expert here. Liftd4R who can ID that older Magcharger by the serial number. He'll likely see your thread title and pop in.

Thanks for the info xx. Good lookin' out bro.

The 4 modes are accessed by twisting the switch on-off-on, for low, twist off-on again for blink mode and so on. You need to do this with in a certain time interval.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: Bought the 272 Double A Pro at Walmart today. The packaging says it is a 272 and it performs like a 272. Funny thing is it does not say PRO on the bezel. Love the performance. Also, on the magchargers, I have all four versions of the switches, some of the flashlights have the large 7 digit serial numbers others have eight numbers and one of them has an R in front of the 8 numbers,,, Might buy the LED version to keep the tradition.. Might also have to search a few of my storerooms to pull out the other Maglites lost in boxes and hidden on shelves..

That's weird - all that I have seen say LED PRO on the bezel ring, as you can see on the photo on Mag's site, if you look close:

http://maglite.com/shop/flashlights...flashlight-holster-pack-257.html#.Wyp63iApCUm

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The very first LED Mini-Mags from 2006 used Luxeon III's in both 2AA and a ungainly 3 AA version........I don't think they had official lumen ratings but they weren't too bright, maybe 30-40 lumens. These used tail caps without lanyard holes and had only one mode.

Around 2009 the first multi-mode version came out in 2 AA only, running a Luxeon Rebel (marked 090 on the LED). At first these used the same barrels and tail caps as the Luxeon III versions, but soon changed to a slightly shorter barrel and a tail cap with a lanyard hole similar to the incan Mini Mags tail cap.

The 77 lumen version came out around 2011 running a Cree XP-C marked 106.

I think the 97 lumen version dates from around 2015-2016 – I don't know the details about the LED or how it's marked.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened
The very first LED Mini-Mags from 2006 used Luxeon III's in both 2AA and a ungainly 3 AA version........I don't think they had official lumen ratings but they weren't too bright, maybe 30-40 lumens. These used tail caps without lanyard holes and had only one mode.

Around 2009 the first multi-mode version came out in 2 AA only, running a Luxeon Rebel (marked 090 on the LED). At first these used the same barrels and tail caps as the Luxeon III versions, but soon changed to a slightly shorter barrel and a tail cap with a lanyard hole similar to the incan Mini Mags tail cap.

I think the 97 lumen version dates from around 2015-2016 – I don't know the details about the LED or how it's marked.

Interesting. I've never heard of an XP-C version of the Mini Maglite LED. I once had the 69lm Luxeon Rebel model but wound up losing it before I got my Fenix LD20.

Draco

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened

Ferrarimx5

Newly Enlightened

Okay, I have the
Cree XP-C marked 106.
My 272 has a marking of 016 but looks identical to the
Cree XP-C

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED on the 272 lumen is an XP-G2 (or maybe a XP-G3 by now??) - these have a silver backing. The older 226 lumen versions had a XP-G with a green back ground.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Package was unopened, sealed.. Very bright, white light.... No doubt in my mind it is a Pro.. No doubt it is a 272.. Just seems odd/different/weird.
Thank you to everyone who responded!

Learned a lot..
Very happy with all of my maglites..

I am sure it's a Pro, Mag must have got the bezels mixed up at the factory or they recently stopped marking them Pro.

BTW if you like the Mini Mag Pro, check out the ML25 LEDs. The ML25 is a fatter C cell version of the Mini Mag not as bright in lumens but higher CD makes it appear very bright and it throws much further, with a big spill beam that lets you see your surroundings up close real well. The 2 C ML25 is a pocket size light that's easy to carry, I highly recommend running NiMH cells in this light as it draws a good amount of current and alkalines might not be able to supply this for very long - I use AA Eneloops in mine with a simple DIY 2 AA to 2 C spacer tube. The longer 3 C ML25 would be the better choice if you are running mostly alkalines (though the 3C ML25 runs great on Eneloops as well).

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW Staples near me (Rochester NY) has the MiniMag Survival Pack (the 97 lm 4 mode MiniMag LED, traffic cone, mounting brackets + screws, and 2 AA's) at a discontinued price of about $19. They also had MiniMag Pro's and AAA MiniMags at disc'd prices. Since the traffic cone lists for $8 and the bracket is about $4 IIRC, it's not too bad a deal if you like that format.