Need help modifying an old incandescent Surefire G2

Balog

Newly Enlightened
I have an old (incandescent) Surefire G2 that is yellow. It currently have an aftermarket metal clicky tailcap, and I'd like to replace it with a yellow momentary cap. I can't seem to find one for sale anywhere. Any sources?

Also, looking to switch over to an LED emitter. I previously tried to convert it with one of the super cheap P60 drop ins off Amazon, but it didn't seem to fit. All G2s, even the really old ones, should be compatible with P60 drop ins right? I'm thinking of getting a Malkoff this time, and don't want to spend that much then find that this is some weird obscure variant that won't work right.

Assuming it will work, I'm looking at this drop in. https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com/products/m361n-lmh-neutral-low-med-high-to-fit-surefire?

Not as many lumens, but I like the neutral tint and easy mode switching. I think that especially with a momentary switch it should be super easy to go to high if needed, and this would be a bedside light so starting in low is ideal.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Balog,
If you do get the Malkoff M361N-LMH, keep in mind that you might very well want to get an aluminum bezel if you are going to use it on high for an extended period. Also, since it is a 2-cell light that should not use 2 rechargeable Li-ion cells in it (because of the very real possibility of frying the unit), you will need to use two primaries, and running it on high for more than 15 minutes may overheat the cells.

You might also want to take a look at, say, the M61NL. Neutral tint, 160 lumens, a runtime of 5 hours on 2xCR123a, and if you use rechargeables, a 17670 or 16650 cell (these recent cells run longer than a 17670) is enough for full regulation, for awhile at least. It is also not going to overheat in a nitrolon bezel.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
+1 on the Malkoff M61L (NL preferably); that module was expressly designed for the G2 w/ the first-generation Nitrolon head/bezel assembly.

Unlike many other modules, it is perfectly compatible with any cells that can fit your light; 2xCR123, 2xIMR/RCR123, 1x6650/17670, etc.

And yes, most of the eBay dropins were designed for the SolarForce-type standard vs the Surefire P60 standard.
Can be made to fit the SF G2 adequately, but still not optimally.
Those dropins generally have poor thermal management anyway, and would have probably burned up on 'High' in the Nitrolon G2.

Edit: With regards to the tailcap, you might try giving Surefire a call; they might take care of you on that.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need helping modifying an old incandescent Surefire G2

Look for Tana quad P60

I don't what that Tana puts out, but it sounds bright. I don't think I'd want to something that powerful in a plastic host, even with an aluminium head.
Think Malkoff and go with what Gene recommends for plastic hosts on his site.
There's lots of ripoff G2 tails on Ebay.
P

bykfixer

Flashaholic

X a million for the M61NL.

Finding a yellow twisty won't be easy. But you can use the clicky like a twisty. Just click it to on and rotate it for on/off.

Or... for a few dollars more a new yellow G2x Pro can be purchased.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't what that Tana puts out, but it sounds bright. I don't think I'd want to something that powerful in a plastic host, even with an aluminium head.
Think Malkoff and go with what Gene recommends for plastic hosts on his site.
There's lots of ripoff G2 tails on Ebay.
P

Tana has single led drop in, triples and quads, based on your request he can make a model you like. More flexibility and options than Malkoff.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Balog,

and if you use rechargeables, a 17670 or 16650 cell (these recent cells run longer than a 17670) is enough for full regulation, for awhile at least. It is also not going to overheat in a nitrolon bezel.

Not sure of any other brand but my Keeppower 16650s are close enough to the same dimensions of a pair of Surefire 123As that I can't see a difference in or out of the light.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know of a two mode lo-hi drop in with good tint/cri, 400+ high and a bit on the throwy side?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what you are looking for for throw, but the P60 form factor just isn't set up to throw more than a 100 meters or so. I had a G2 with a Lumens Factory HO-6 (160 lumens) drop in, and at 50 meters it lit up the entire side of the neighbor's two story house. Basically, the more lumens the more throw with a P60, but no real hot spot at those distances. Now, you could put a Lumens Factory D36 head on it to get a larger reflector that would be a little deeper as well. But the NA color won't go that well with the yellow of the rest of the light. And for the money you would be better off getting something like the Nitecore P60 if you really want throw.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A bit on the throwy side....

So do you mean a thrower (like a pencil beam light does) or perhaps a wide lighter with a conical beam to spread light farther forward than a flooder?

A Malkoff is "a bit throwy" in terms of nice widely dispersed beam with a forward throw of sorts. Nice combo of side to side with a forward beam, but not 'throwy' as in most light is forward with some side spill. The M61 stated to be 425 lumens. Hi only though.

I used a Rayovac 2aa Indestructable module in a 3P sized light. Plug and play with P60 lights. Use a 16650 in your G2 to get a real nice beam with hi/lo capable. 300 lumens, but it lights like a much brighter light easily competing with my 650 Elzetta Bones and 850 PowerTac Warrior.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have the m61 which was on sale on the way so we will see, but that's going into my bed stand light for use with my g23 if it's ever needed.

I have a ultrafire with a xre which throws very nicely. No pencil be but strong spot with some spill. Would like an up-to-date drop in with similar optics and two modes.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
You say it currently has an aftermarket metal tail cap... what kind is it ?
Just curious.

cp2315

Enlightened
I never hesitate to recommend PFlexPro drop ins to anyone. just google "pFlexPro" and browse all P60 options for yourself.
If you prefer throwy, I'd recommend XPL HI. The advanced programming is well worth the money. You can pretty much have whatever modes you want. And you can easily change it if you later change your mind. And his lights are all fully potted for heavy duty use.