Fenix TKUE18 post mortem/autopsyl, fatal design flaw?

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
So I decided to update my main torch, and after lurking on here whittles it down to a Fenix TK35UE (2018) version.
This Duly arrived, and after finally getting the chance to look at it ( on the longest day of the year!) i noticed that the mode switch appeared a little loose, thought probably nothing much to worry about as it didnt have any batteries in.
upon opening it, and removing the battery caddy I was presented with this: two small ball bearings, some sort of inner part, the switch part, a small round spacer (?) and a spring, the instructions make no mention of how these parts go together???

Wgw2fttEYdqxwF986

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Re: Fenix TKUE 2018 dissapointment

Hi and welcome to the forums.

That sucks but it sounds like nothing more than really bad luck. It should be covered under warranty. Contact Fenix and get a new light.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

its been posted back to amazon, and a replacement is on the way, just got to wait a few more days.
I didn't even get as far as putting batteries in the torch to see what it was like before the switch fell apart.
It's going to replace an old and battered AA Fenix L2D, hopefully the replacement will be an improvement.

next on the upgrade list will be something for my keyring, currently using a very battered AAA maglite solitare with old school incandescent bulb

tom-

Enlightened

My last Fenix purchase (on line) was unpleasant as well-did you verify that the product was genuine and intended for sale in your area, might it have been used??

It really is a bummer.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

Hope its not fake, I wouldn't even know where to start in telling if it is fake or genuine.

tom-

Enlightened

Interesting, mine was an Amazon purchase also, doa-took forever to arrive and it sure looked as though it had been around the block a few times. On the up side it was genuine, intended for the US market and the credit was processed almost instantly.

I found a link somewhere where authenticity and intended market could be verified/confirmed with the serial number.

tom-

Enlightened

yes, though I don't remember if I got additional info from Fenix when I contacted them.

colight

Enlightened

Hope its not fake, I wouldn't even know where to start in telling if it is fake or genuine.

Richard_T, one way to find out if it is genuine is to contact Fenix Customer Services in China. They can verify from the serial number if it is original, and if I'm not mistaken, which country/market it was intended for. I did this before - successfully, I can add. As inviting as prizes on Amazon appear I find it hard to trust them completely wrt authenticity. I'll rather buy from Fenix Store, even though they're more expensive. At least I buy peace of mind. As some say: buy once, cry once!

Kestrel

Flashaholic

+1 on the Fenix serial # lookup - have utilized that myself.

And I do think that Fenix has an excellent record for standing behind their products; one of the best overall reps for all of my 10+ yrs on the forum - and few mfrs indeed have a long-term record that good.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hope they get you taken care of! Fenix is my favorite brand and while I have never had a problem, I always recommend you buy from Fenix Store so that you know you get a genuine light and they have great after sales support.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

Update: Replacement arrived, opened the box, and no loose switches, opened the head, out came the batter caddy, and nothing else, no little bearings

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix TKUE 2018 dissapointment, then joy :) this thing is bright

Update: Replacement arrived, opened the box, and no loose switches, opened the head, out came the battery caddy, and nothing else, no little bearings no springs or other bits falling out.
And wow, this things bright, anyway its going to be another week or so before it gets its first real use, amongst a group who go for plasticy torches with as many LEDs as possible, at the cheapest price point possible ( based o the theory that more cheap standard LED's = more power )

Makes my old L2d look a little puny, and my Maglite solitare (AAA incandescent) look pathetic - the only reason i have that maglite solitare is because its just small enough to sit on my keyring, so now on the lookout for a replacement for that.

Last edited:

colight

Enlightened

:clap::twothumbs

Happy for you, Richard T!

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

So far so good, still got to wait another week before i will be able to test it.
Just found this review on google, sounds exactly the same as the issue I had, review only comes up in a google search on a mobile device, for some reason
FIRST REVIEW REMOVED BY FENIX, SO HERE IS A SECOND

Translate

I purchased the 2018 "Ultimate Edition" TK35. After removing "flashlight" from the box and removing the head to install the batteries, the entire mode selector assembly dropped onto the floor. If you were wondering what those parts consisted of, I shall enlighten you. There is two small springs, 2 tiny ball bearings, two small plastic rings and the selector knob. TOTAL FAIL. I cannot give the product 0 stars because the post will not let you. A product that fails to work out of the box deserves 0 stars not a star. Not to mention, the post being removed as it was there last night, and today it is gone. So, if I could give you a negative star, you just got it. If this review gets removed, I will follow up with posts on every other social media site for your apparent shady behavior.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

More problems :(((
Had it on charge via usb and the caddy just went to check on it, and noticed it was warm, so unplugged and left to cool.
the battery caddy has a slight burning smell, and now the torch no longer works :(

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

Just tried to contact Fenix here

I recently purchased and registered with you a Fenix TK35UE serial number FCCC5M00098
After charging it as instructed via the usb cable, the caddy became hot and gave off a slight burning smell.
the unit now no longer works, Please advise on what to do next, I am away in a few days an i need a torch that works, this is urgent.
if you can not provide a satafactory solution then i will have to return the defective item and purchase something forma more reliable manufacturer. this is the second unit that I have had that has failed see here, wher i have posted to candlepower forums https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-then-joy-)now-dissapointment-2nd-unit-failed
and got this as a response
jmail.Message ���� '8000ffff'

The message was undeliverable. All servers failed to receive the message
/enfeedbacklh.asp���� 87

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

Taken the batteries out, and placed the caddy somewhere to cool down.
put the batteries back again, and after a short while the caddy ( and batteries) got hot again.

New problem, I need a torch for next weekend, do i try third time lucky, or is fenix now no longer worth looking at?
Going by their response on the contact us page
jmail.Message ���� '8000ffff'

The message was undeliverable. All servers failed to receive the message
/enfeedbacklh.asp���� 87

im not too sure

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very sorry to hear, but rest assured Fenix will make it right for you.

Sadly, a number of folks have had issues with the new TK35. Which is unfortunate because the TK35 had [previously] been such a tough and reliable workhorse.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened

Due to a lack of time, ive re-ordered one, this time from an official dealer, instead of Amazon.
the first once was damaged upon receipt.
the second one came from Germany and the box was sealed with sticky tape, this is now being returned.
Just before putting it back in its box, I tried it one last time, upon inserting batteries the charge light on the caddy comes on ( not the one at the end near the switch) and flickers between red and green, after a whhile the batteries and the caddy both get warm.
the batteries both have a measured voltage of 3.65 and 3.7 volts each.
Fortunately the batteries didnt get hot, they were just warm, the caddy on the other hand was much much warmer