LED Headlight Claims

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
I know that many LED torches and such are claiming a "little bit" over the odds, but I was perusing LED car headlights and they have tipped over into La La Land.

Some random product said:
8. LED lights has the advantages of ***low power*** consumption and energy saving

9. LED light are non-polar installation, whether it is positive, or reverse, it will all be bright.

10. Easy to install-plug & play,100% brand new.

Specifications:

Input Power: **1050W/Set(PHILIPS LED Beads)**

LM: **156000LM**

So in summary we have a "low power consumption", 1050 Watt, 142 lm / watt LED lighting system!

Sorry. Just needed to rant. This has become ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Variants of this sort of marketing have been occurring for years-- for example, halogen bulbs with blurbs on the packaging saying "55W=85W" and other mathematical impossibilities.

There are some LEDs for unregulated functions such as dome lights and the like that *are* polarity insensitive, which is pretty cool and all but requiring slightly more expensive electronics inside, and potentially increasing their current draw and heat.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
...............and they have tipped over into La La Land.

I, for one, am thankful for companies that make impossible claims. It allows me to quickly know what products and companies to avoid.
Using flashlights as an example: If I'm looking for a new light running a CR123 battery and using an XM-L chip....if the specs list it has 5000LM, I know I don't want to buy it or that brand.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
To be accurate: that pile of baloney has nothing to do with LED headlamps. "Plug & play" is the giveaway, they're talking about trinkets claimed to "convert" halogen headlamps.

There are many excellent LED headlamps -- real ones, originally engineered as LED headlamps.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Variants of this sort of marketing have been occurring for years-- for example, halogen bulbs with blurbs on the packaging saying "55W=85W" and other mathematical impossibilities.

But that blue tint!

Or, after swapping bulbs in a spotlight (H1 I think) between the standard lamp and one of the larger 85=150 watt types, and not being able to see the rock in the field anymore... "those still look cooler in my car." Not referring to the specific bulbs in the spotlight, I was just using that to show him the difference, but the lamps he had just put in his Volvo.