advice buying bags

alex74

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone I would like a tip for buying a medium bag that is good and well made with many pockets with a good value for money
as brands I would have considered:
Maxpedition
5:11
Helikon-tex
VertX
blackhawk
in your opinion which product would you buy?
are there any other good brands?
thanks for all the answers

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking to put just stuff or laptop or tablet or what? My Samsung tab fits in my versipak, and Malaga. My domke and tamrac bags are just starting to show wear after 30 years of camera carrying.
My favorite over the past few years has been a waxed canvas Tumi tech

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The camera bags have removable inserts and I've used them as overnight bags when I go to shows (knife, gun, pen, etc) and they have just enough room for purchases so I can stuff all my goodies in there. The vertex and Maxpedition has concealed carry pockets I put my wallet & phone in when riding nyc subways.

My only gripe is the vertex is tight. It doesn't expand or allow stuff to be dropped in like an open top (flap top) bag

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
You mention good value for money, and that makes me throw Osprey into the ring.

It might not be the ultimate in durable quality, but most of ours have serves us well for years. Good selection, often smart design choices, and more lightweight than some other alternatives. Worth a look I think.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not familiar with some of the brands listed, but I too have been pleased with Osprey. They seem to be well made and comfortable, although my packs do not see rough use.

I have some older Maxpedition gear, as I do not care for most of their newer designs, but the bags I have seem very stout. If the added weight of their construction is not a concern, these appear to be very robust, including particularly the "hardware" (zippers, pulls, buckles and such)

Also, on a couple of occasions, I had a customer service issue for Maxpedition, and these were handled very promptly and professionally. I was impressed, as good customer service is getting vanishingly rare.

jarheadgreasemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Gotta check out Tom Bihn. The Synapse is my favorite bag of all time. Both sizes.

FWIW: Their bags are a bit pricey, but come with a lifetime warranty and great customer service.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Re: Nitecore BP20

Maxpedition is very good. If you prefer your gear to be made in the U.S. then I would recommend Hill People Gear or Tom Bihn.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: Nitecore BP20

I would honestly go with 5.11 over Maxpedition as with some of their products, I have encountered some sloppy stitching issues.