[Review] XTAR PB2 USB Power Bank and 18650 Charger

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a review of the XTAR PB2 power bank and charger. This is a 2-slot 18650 charger with a digital readout that also doubles as a rapid USB power bank for smart phone charging and other devices.

There is a video review of the charger I put up on Youtube, here:

You can find links to the charger, specs, and discount information in the video description.

The charger was provided by Banggood for review purposes. I receive no other form of compensation.

0utmkXm.jpg

GYIFAD1.jpg

Overview:

The Xtar PB2 is a nice little charger that serves as both a dual 18650 charger, as well as a powerbank for charging your other USB devices. It incorporates a LED display that shows the remaining percentage capacity of the device, as well as provides error information (such as if you install a battery in backwards).

The unit is very light, but it feels well built. A magnetic cover gives easy access to remove or install ICR/INR/IMR lithium-ion 18650 cells, and the magnets are strong enough to prevent any accidental removal of the cover.

It has a sleek look, and is also very functional.

Interface:

The Xtar PB2 is very easy to use, and is fully plug & play. Remove the magnetic cover to install one or two 18650 cells. Use a USB cable (one is provided) to connect the micro USB port on the Xtar to a USB charging outlet. The Xtar will charge your batteries until full, while displaying the progress on its LED display.

lFBzO2y.jpg

The power bank function is just as easy. With batteries installed, connect the cable to the full-sized USB port on the Xtar, and the other end to your smart phone. Your smart phone will immediately begin to charge, and the device will show the remaining capacity of your batteries.

qp85gWB.jpg

There is a button on the side of the Xtar that will temporarily activate the LED display to show you the remaining capacity. You only need to press it if the Xtar is not connected to anything. When the device is being used, the display will always be lit.

smDqFp8.jpg

18650 Charging Function:

As a charger, the Xtar PB2 can charge either 1 or 2 cells at a time. They must be standard lithium-ion 18650 cells. Due to the small size of the battery compartment, only unprotected flat-top cells will fit. Button-top cells might fit, but they would have to be not much longer than 65mm. Protected cells are too long.

woYTRO7.jpg

Just install your cell(s), and plug a USB cable (or the one provided) into the micro USB port on the Xtar. Plug the other end into any USB wall charger (or port on a computer). The Xtar will immediately begin charging your batteries. It will display a progress readout on its LED panel, showing the percentage of charge your batteries have.

zlmbRyS.jpg

When charging, the digits of the LED display will slowly flash, indicating it is charging. When complete, the flashing will stop and the readout will show 100%. Disconnect the charger, and either remove your charged batteries or leave them in it to use it as a power bank.

If you install 2 cells, they will each charge at 1 amp. If you install 1 cell, it will charge at 2 amps. This assumes you connect the charger to a 2.1A USB outlet, otherwise it will charge at a slower rate (whatever is available from your USB outlet).

If you install 2 cells, they do not have to be at the same voltage, nor be similar in capacity. If voltages are different, the device will show the average capacity in its LED display. When charging is complete, both cells will be at 4.2 volts.

The charger provides a full charge of your cells, terminating at 4.20v. It uses a standard CC/CV algorithm for charging.

It also provides for 0 volt activation of cells to bring severely discharged cells back to life. Though, in my opinion, you should probably just recycle cells that have been discharged completely.

LmzyBoG.jpg

USB Power Bank Function:

The Xtar PB2 can operate as a USB power bank with either 1 or 2 cells installed. If 2 cells are installed, it will provide a 5v 2.1A USB output to charge your other gadgets. If only 1 cell is installed, it will provide a 5v 1A USB output.

Just connect the included micro-USB cable into the full-sized USB port on the Xtar, and the other end to your smart phone or other gadget. Your phone will begin to charge, and the Xtar will display the remaining percentage of its batteries.

The charging efficiency is up to 92%, and you can fully charge your phone from the Xtar, with plenty of capacity remaining.

1XJqC4I.jpg

Acceptable Batteries:

The Xtar PB2 does not come with batteries, so you must provide your own. It can take either one or two 18650 lithium-ion cells. The cells must be the standard kind that take a charge to 4.2 volts. They must also be unprotected flat-top cells, as the battery compartment is limited in length.

Batteries do not have to be the same brand, capacity, or have the same voltage when installed. So, basically, anything goes.

If using just 1 cell in the Xtar, I recommend it be a high-drain cell like a Samsung 30Q or similar. This is because the charger will use a 2A charge with only 1 cell installed in it. This would be hard on a low-drain cell. So, if using low-drain cells, you should probably install 2 of them, which will cause them to be charged at a slower 1A rate.

Specifications:

Construction: Plastic casing, with rubberized coating. Magnetic cover. It is not waterproof, so don't get it wet.

Size: 110mm x 50mm x 25mm

Weight: 55g (without batteries)

Input: micro USB, 5V up to 2.1A

Output: standard USB, 5V 2.1A

Protection: reverse polarity protection, short, over-voltage, low-voltage.

Heat: The unit does not get hot either being charged or charging something else.

Package contents: Charger, USB cable, manual, box.

Vw8cnhO.jpg

My impressions:

Pros:

- Sturdy, grippy surface.
- It is a fairly efficient USB power bank.
- 2.1 amp power bank is rapid for most devices.
- Fast charging of 18650 cells.
- Good termination for full charge of 18650 cells.

Cons:

- Will only fit unprotected flat-top 18650 cells.

Summary:

This is a great little charger for both charging your 18650 cells, and using the powerbank function to charge your smart phone or other micro-USB devices. If you use good batteries in it, it functions as a very respectable 7000mAh powerbank for travel or emergency purposes.

That's all for now. Thank you for reading.

terjee

Enlightened
Many thanks for the review. Especially appreciated that you notes the batteries did not have to be at same SoC or capacity. Been looking for something like this for a while. The F1/F2 has worked well for me, but left me wanting something I could keep the batteries inside. This solves that.
Only major downside I see is the magnets, which poses a possible downside for use while hiking (compass and magnets).

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to see actual amps delivered. Wondering if Xtar's USB detector is available or some other accurate method. Even though it is rated as capable of delivering 2A, I question that.

terjee mentioned the Nitecore F1: I use a flashlight that takes a single 26650 battery. The F1 can charge and supply power with a protected 26650 Orbtronic. The different kinds of batteries do get warm when used as a powerbank, and the cover on the PB2 may hold the heat in somewhat, but that is the tradeoff of having a useful cover.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be interesting to see actual amps delivered. Wondering if Xtar's USB detector is available or some other accurate method. Even though it is rated as capable of delivering 2A, I question that.

I didn't test it myself (other than a rough comparison to a wall charger), but I saw another review of it where it was measured, and it was 2 amps with 2 cells and 1 amp with 1 cell. So it appears the specs are accurate.

Many thanks for the review. Especially appreciated that you notes the batteries did not have to be at same SoC or capacity. Been looking for something like this for a while. The F1/F2 has worked well for me, but left me wanting something I could keep the batteries inside. This solves that.
Only major downside I see is the magnets, which poses a possible downside for use while hiking (compass and magnets).

Yes, I wouldn't keep something sensitive to magnetism right next to it. Same as with lights that have a magnetic tailcap. As long as you keep it in a different section of your bag, the compass should be fine. I just tested it with a compass, and the compass didn't start giving wrong readings until it was within 8cm of the charger. Moving away, it returned to normal. Different compasses may be more or less sensitive, but I think a few inches away should be okay.