LED with uniform light as direct backlight

nikosb

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know if there are any LEDs with approximate size of 1in x 1in that produce uniform light over the entire die area? I got some COB LEDs but I realized that only part of the die produces light. Here is an example of a COB LED

High_Power_COB-LED_with_low_current_at_5pct.jpg

The purpose is to use the LED as the direct backlight for a HUD application.

Last edited:

nikosb

Newly Enlightened
I think you want one of these woven fiber light diffusion backlight panels like the type that Lumitex makes.

Thank you very much, it looks interesting, I will read more about it. My feeling is that there is light loss as with any diffuser. Having a uniform Light Emitting Surface (LES) would eliminate any diffuser and subsequent light loss. Is there a limit on the size of the LES?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank you very much, it looks interesting, I will read more about it. My feeling is that there is light loss as with any diffuser. Having a uniform Light Emitting Surface (LES) would eliminate any diffuser and subsequent light loss. Is there a limit on the size of the LES?

hey use them for monitor backlights so they can be made fairly large. I have a couple of small ones that I found at a local computer store.