Nitecore MH20 beating my Zebra sc600w Mark IV. WHY?

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, this is strange. Per Zebra and reviewers on youtube the sc600w Mark IV gets 1400 lumens with a 270 meter throw and a 1800cd rating. Right? My Old MH20 is destroying this light in all cartagories with only 1000 lumens, 1200cd, and 220 meters of throw. Why? What I am missing? I have the Mark IV on the highest setting and mode and it is nowhere near the brightness or throw of the MH20. Do I have a bad light?

Zak

Enlightened
  • How are you measuring performance?
  • What battery are you using in each light?
  • Are you sure the Zebralight is actually on the highest setting and not H2?

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Yes... Zebra is on the highest setting mode. I'm using 3500mah unprotected battery in the Zebra. And the nightcor has a klarus 3100mah battery in it

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
I'm using my necked eye. It's a huge difference to the point that no instrument would be needed.

terjee

Enlightened
Tighter beam on the MH20?
Doesn't take a lot of distance before beam profile will be much, much more significant than 40% up in lumens.

Also, the Zebra is warm/neutral, is the MH20 cool? That can give a percieved edge to it as well.

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Tighter beam on the MH20?
Doesn't take a lot of distance before beam profile will be much, much more significant than 40% up in lumens.

Also, the Zebra is warm/neutral, is the MH20 cool? That can give a percieved edge to it as well.

Yes.. Thr Nitecore is cool white. But I thought that the Zebra at 1400lm vs 1000lm on the MH20 would be more than enough to either match or beat the look of the lumens. And it's nowhere near the beam brightness or power.

Zak

Enlightened
Is this an SC600w or an SC600w HI? The HI should have more throw than the MH20, but the standard model should not and would have a less intense looking beam with a larger hotspot.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's not much difference between 1000lm and 1400lm or 12,000 lux and 18,000 lux. The human eye is a terrible instrument for gauging these things, however the eye responds more sharply to color (i.e beam tint.) Cool white just looks brighter.

Zak

Enlightened
The human eye does respond to differences in brightness logarithmically, but the SC600 HI should be enough brighter that it does not look dimmer.

Methos777

Newly Enlightened
Guys...i understand close lumens are hard to detect but I'm not talking about close comparisons here. It's not even close. The MH20 destroyed my sc600w hi and I just don't think it should be that way based on stats. At the very worst they should look the same.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough. I'd suggest contacting Zebralight. All things being equal, it sounds like you are unable to access the highest setting.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Human eyes are not the best metering instrument. Right now I have compared Zebralight SC600w MkIII HI and Surefire Backup beam hotspots. The first one is rated 1126 lm, the second — 300 lm. But my eyes registered them as identical in brightness.

Now guess why.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore advertised lumens are under rated. I've put several 1000 lumen lights against my MT40GT and some look half as bright and ones within 1000 candela are even noticeably less bright.

It dont matter how much more expensive or what another lights popularity is. You can pretty much bank on Nitecore lumens either being honestly advertised or most likely being under rated.

Under promise, over deliver. My MT10A is damn near the same exact light as the streamlight HL-X in a much smaller package. I've seen nothing in that size range even come close, let alone larger supposedly brighter lights.

Zak

Enlightened
Nitecore lights I have tested didn't significantly underrate or overrate any of their photometrics. They were very close to advertised.